The Ups and Downs of Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether you are going on an adventure yourself or not, study abroad is going to impact your junior (and possibly senior) year significantly. Classmates will be coming and going between the familiarity of Lewisburg and the outskirts of the world. Though the idea of sipping Bellinis along the canals of Venice or skydiving in Cape Town brings excitement, there are struggles that come with the study abroad experience as well. Here are some common situations and how to deal.

Scenario #1: You Came Back from Abroad and Can’t Adjust

You had the best experience ever…and never wanted to come home. This is easily one of the most common feelings associated with coming back, and there are plenty of people on campus to talk to about it. Just because you went abroad doesn’t mean that you are done travelling for the rest of your life. Many people say that it’s not just visiting new places, but the experience of “the real world” and the feeling of independence that are missed the most. Like it or not, you’re not going to be a Bucknell student forever (and it’s coming to a close sooner than you think), so take advantage of the opportunities while you can. There are still so many new events to attend and people to meet before graduation, so why not hit the ground running as soon as you get back?

Scenario #2: You Came Back…and Your Friends Left

It can be hard to adjust to life was like on campus without your best friends. Instead, take this as an opportunity to try something new at the school you’ve been attending for years. This could include taking a class in a new department, creating a passion project, or joining a club that you have been thinking about. Coming back to Bucknell will feel different as an upperclassman, regardless of how your abroad experience was or if you even went at all. Of course, the Internet makes it much easier to keep in touch. As much as you think your stories of Bucknell weekends are not as exciting as strolling through Paris, you may be surprised by how much your friends want to know about what’s going on at the school they left.

Scenario #3: You Regret Not Going

Just because you missed this opportunity doesn’t mean that there are not going to be other chances. This could include travelling in the summer or joining an organization that will allow you to experience living within another culture. It’s important to keep in mind why you didn’t go – perhaps for financial reasons, the ability to graduate in four years or because you just weren’t interested or ready at the time. The opportunity to go abroad doesn’t end at 22, it just takes a little more initiative.

Scenario #4: You Went Abroad and It Was a Letdown

It’s pretty hard to come back from a lukewarm experience having to respond to questions about “the best time of your entire life.” One of the most important things to do is give the experience time and perspective, especially if you have just landed back on American soil. Everyone experiences a crazy amount of growth during their college years, especially during their study abroad semester. There is usually a positive lesson that can be taken from any experience. Also, remember the absolute privilege we all have to be able to study abroad in the first place. There is something funny about travel stories in that they gain appreciation and value over time. 

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.