Turning High School Habits into College Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Everyone has a uniquely different relationship with high school. Whether you look back and remember it fondly or maybe as four years you were simply forced to complete, high school teaches us a lot. We may not remember the proofs we learned in geometry or how to conjugate a verb in Spanish, but we do develop study habits and meaningful life skills that can impact our college life for the better. College is no doubt an exciting time full of new experiences and opportunities, but before you forget everything from high school, it’s important to consider how to transform your high school habits into college success.

Schedule Your Workouts

If you played a sport in high school, then every day after classes ended, you were most likely headed straight down to the locker room (and by straight down to the locker room, I mean leisurely walking through the school hallways, catching up with your best friend). But regardless, you made it to the field on time. Practice was mandatory. Games were scheduled. In other words, you didn’t choose when you wanted to play; your workouts were predetermined. However, college is a completely new ballpark. It’s up to you to create your own workout. Take your high school habit to college by working out right after your last class – you’ll thank yourself later, I promise. Following a strict workout routine will keep you happy, healthy, and hopefully free of the “Freshman (or Sophomore) 15.”

Strengthen Your Mental Stamina

Eight classes a day x 5 times a week sounds like a terrible math equation that many refer to as high school. Every class was an 8 a.m., yet we made it through seamlessly. How is it that even though we may only have two classes per day in college, we feel as if we just ran a marathon by the time they end? Adjusting to college classes is definitely exhausting, but thankfully, we don’t have to do it eight times a day. Making a to-do list is a great way to break down your day into the sum of its parts. However, don’t overload your little post-it with meetings, exams, and study groups or you’ll end up feeling like you didn’t accomplish much. Keep it realistic. Or maybe don’t… because we all secretly love the thrill of dramatically crossing things off our lists, so why not add a few things we’ve already done? It’s also essential to take a lunch break no matter how busy you are. You might think working through lunch can save you some time, but refueling your body at lunch is extremely important. Yeah, you’ll probably still hit the 12 p.m. Caf rush hour or long Bison checkout lines, but trust me, a quick lunch break can do wonders for you, giving you the energy to push through the rest of your day. So, while two classes is definitely not a sprint, if you made it through eight in high school, then you can certainly make it through two. Your endurance is not gone, perhaps just forgotten.

Use Your Free Time Wisely

Free periods were highly coveted chunks of time in high school. A whole 52 minutes to yourself (and your books, I guess) meant that they were a chance to get ahead in your classes (or maybe just finish the homework due in your next class). Either way, you were being productive and checking tasks off your newly created to-do list. Even though a typical college student constantly craves a good nap, resist the urge to go back to your room in between classes – meet up with your good friend Bertrand instead.

Keep Your Bedtime Consistent  

Your bedtime in high school was pretty consistent. Perhaps it was because you weren’t going out and partying on a Wednesday night, but that’s only a guess. Class started the same time each day, so you went to bed around the same time each night. College is obviously a little different. Your schedule varies each day, so it’s often hard to stick to a strict sleep schedule. However, if you plan out your work for the entire week, you’ll be aware of upcoming due dates. Be mindful of these deadlines and plan out your work appropriately so that you won’t be up until 3 a.m. finishing your lab report you thought was due next week. Use a planner and write things down to prevent those late night cram sessions and to help keep your bedtime consistent.

Stay Organized

Organization is key in all areas of life, and school supply shopping is easily the best part of the school year. New binders, new folders, and new pens? What more could a girl ask for? In high school, this fabulous shopping experience unfortunately only occurred once a year. However, in college, with two completely different semesters, don’t hesitate to go school supply shopping twice. In fact, it’s encouraged. Organization is essential, and there’s no shame in having a green binder, green notebook, and green folder for your science class (we’ve all done it before). Say goodbye to your careless habits because students with better organizational skills are more productive. Don’t waste time searching for your homework or notes from class, but rather spend your time organizing so you can increase your efficiency (and hopefully ease your stress level, too). Whether you’re a freshman in high school or a senior in college, you’re never too old for some school supply swag.

If high school was indeed the worst years of your life, remember that we learn and grow throughout the worst times to get to the best times. And if it was the best years of your life, you definitely peaked in high school. Just kidding –  it will only get better from there.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com