Turkey with a Side of Inevitable Life Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“Pass the gravy, please.”

“Who was that good-looking boy in your formals photos?”

Here we go again. Not even 5 minutes into the perfect, mouthwatering Thanksgiving meal that has been long awaited since last year, and the family is already jumping into their favorite prying questions. Here’s how to handle:

“Who is that boy in your formals pictures?”

What you say: Oh he’s just one of my friends from freshman year. We’ve had a few classes together, but we’re nothing more than just friends.

Reality: Oh, you mean that guy I hooked up with once last week? Since he was the lucky one I last kissed, he received the awkward text message that I rewrote multiple times asking, well more like begging, if he wanted to casually be my date.

“No, the boy in the other pictures, you wore the blue dress.”

What you say: Oh, you mean James? Yeah he was a blind date, one of my best friend’s boyfriend’s friends. We had a great time, but I don’t think it is really going to go anywhere.

Reality: Oh, you mean the guy my friend set me up with. He doesn’t even go here. In fact, I probably will never ever see him again. He came along with my friend’s boyfriend to check out Bucknell for the weekend. He hooked up with a sophomore and I went home with my friends and Domino’s.

“What are your plans for after graduation?”

What you say: I’ve been applying to a bunch of places. I have some interviews lined up when I get back from break.

Reality: I’ve applied to maybe one or two jobs, and my follow-up game has been pretty weak. In the meantime I’ve been crying and eating ice cream hoping the phone will magically ring and some saintly person will offer me a job, any job really.

“What is your dream job?”

What you say: Well, I’m not positive of the exact job description, but I know I need experience to find out what I want and don’t want. I’m looking forward to finding what makes me happy.

Reality: I have no idea. Can I get paid to watch Netflix?

“Well do you think you know where you want to live when you graduate?”

What you say: Ideally, I would love to be in New York, or any city so I can meet people and take advantage of all the cultural events, museums, and dining the city has to offer. But I am flexible depending on the job.

Reality: I’ll go where they pay me? Haven’t even thought about it. If I live in New York, I’ll have an unrealistic thought that my life will be like an episode of Friends. In reality I’ll probably be living in an apartment smaller than my freshman dorm room. Also, the cultural events I take advantage of will include frequenting the bars in a one-mile radius around where I live and my dining experiences will include solely take-out Chinese and pizza.

“What classes are you taking next semester?”

What you say: Well, since I’ve finished all my major and university requirements I plan on taking advantage of the cool and interesting classes Bucknell has to offer, which I haven’t been able to take until now.

Reality: I’m totally under loading and I taking only easy A classes, most likely modern dance. Or, I still haven’t taken all of my requirements so I’m trying really hard to get into freshman Environmental Studies.  The professor isn’t exactly buying that I really want to take his class.

“You look different. Did you change your hair? Or gain weight?”

What you say: Yes, I did cut my hair. Thanks for noticing. As for the weight gain, I don’t think so, but I’ve been pretty stressed about the end of the semester so I suppose it is possible.

Reality: Nope, didn’t get a haircut. My mother has been badgering me to cut it. And yes, I did gain weight. Pizza and booze will do that to a person, not to mention I don’t have a boyfriend or job as you have already pointed out.

Burning questions during the holidays can definitely put a damper on things, but don’t let your aunt’s curiosity get you down. Your family loves you and is genuinely trying to show interest in your life, even though it might feel this way. Put on a smile and answer the questions as politely as you can. When in doubt, keep stuffing your face with the delicious food in front of you. After all, it’s not polite to talk with your mouth full.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.