This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As I sat at dinner with my rather conservative father earlier this month, a young gentleman in fit dark wash jeans and a leather jacket walked into the restaurant. My dad glanced up and said, “M, what is the deal with that guy’s hair?” I turned around to see a tousled top-knot sitting atop his head, a look that I personally thought he pulled off extremely well. “Oh dad, he’s rockin the man bun! It’s trending.”  With a puzzled look he had to inquire further, “the man-what?”

Man buns: They’re effortless, irresistible, rugged, and spreading across men’s heads everywhere – and making women swoon at the same time. The trend has made it very evident that the expression “long hair don’t care” no longer applies just to women. The sight of a man bun makes us want to run our fingers through it and then tie it back up again. Celebrities, such as Chris Hemsworth, Jared Leto, Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, and perhaps the number one teen heartthrob Harry Styles, first endorsed the look that has now taken not just Hollywood but the whole nation by storm.

The style is simple and chic: it works on any kind of long hair as a quick fix when men don’t have time to style it. Nothing screams, “I woke up like this!” more loudly than an undone, sexy top-knot. It is the kind of appeal that dates back to the bad-boy Heath Ledger character from “10 Things I Hate About You,” and we’re loving it. It has New York Fashion Week glam mixed with the manliest caveman. It can be dressed up for a date night or effortlessly tied back for the gym.

While many of us view the man bun as a pure fashion statement, others endorse it as an extremely practical style. Irish singer-songwriter Hozier, whose single “Take Me to Church” reached number two on the Billboard Hot 200, claims that, like many women, he struggles with frizzy hair that grows out into a puffy ball rather than falling flat. He notes that, “I couldn’t do anything day-to-day without my hair getting in my mouth or my eyes or my food, so I just started tying it back, long before I knew what a man bun was.” A sexy style that is not only practical but looks damn good?! We’re surprised this trend didn’t hit sooner.

While the man bun is pervasive amongst celebrities and Brooklyn-style coffeehouses around the country, the trend has yet to infiltrate Bucknell. When we do catch the occasional glimpse of the bun on the football field or walking across the quad in between classes, our eyes light up. At the end of the day though, the style definitely does not yet dominate the fraternity scene, although we’re hoping for – and desperately awaiting – the rise of the man bun on campus. Until then, we’ll keep checking the numerous blogs and Tumblrs solely dedicated to paying tribute to this style we hope is here to stay.

Read More Around the Web:

·      http://www.mtv.com/news/1720380/jared-leto-alex-ebert-man-bun-hair-golden-globes/

·      http://okmagazine.com/be-pretty/hair-how-tos/trending-now-the-man-bun/

·      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/newsflash-man-bun-isnt-going-762137

·      http://www.herald.ie/news/hozier-reveals-his-love-for-his-man-bun-30994623.html

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com