Sunglasses for Every Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

A pair of sunglasses may be the single most important accessory in a girl’s wardrobe.  Yes, that is a bold statement to make and no, it may not be completely true. Nonetheless sunglasses can help you complete your look.  They instantly give you that mysterious, effortlessly chic, glamorous look, and who doesn’t want that during a fall Super Saturday?! Which is why it is so important that you have the perfect pair that compliments your face type.   

Sarah Bryar, CEO of women’s eyewear e-boutique Rivet and Sway, explains how “no one really has a ‘perfect’ oval, square, circle or heart face shape.”  There could be many different looks that work for your face regardless of the shape.  In an effort to help you get started, let’s take a look at which styles suit each face best.

Circular faces tend to be as wide as they are long.  To help to balance out the roundness of a circular face square and rectangular sunglasses are typically the most flattering.

Strong lines and angles are common traits of a square face, which can be balanced out by circular shapes, a cat eye or even rectangular frames with rounded edges.

A heart shaped face is generally associated with a wider forehead and narrow chin so generally a cat eye or rounded rectangular style would best compliment this shape.

Oval faces are commonly proportionate all over making most styles work for an oval face like aviators, circular, and rectangular. 

When looking for the perfect pair it is important to pay attention to your face because in most cases, it is not a perfectly shaped oval or circle.  Warby Parker has amazing sunglasses and the best part is that you can virtually try them on from your dorm room. Ray Ban is another classic brand that has both traditional aviators and wayfarers, as well as funky glasses with mirrored lenses and fun colored frames.  Illesteva has recently become huge among the female population at Bucknell and offers so many exciting and “trendy” options.  

The most important thing is that YOU feel comfortable in your sunglasses.  If you are feeling beautiful and more importantly confident in the style you choose, then without a doubt you will look amazing!

Sources:http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20279321_20279237_20617449,00.html

http://www.luckymag.com/accessories/2014/05/how-to-find-the-right-sunglasses-for-your-face-shape_slideshow_item12_13

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com