This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
  1. Protect yourself (and your things)

If you’re traveling out of the country, it is extremely important to make a copy of your passport. And if possible, try to make copies of your credit cards and ID. If you’re staying at a hotel you should always check and see if they have a safe to lock up valuables; such as jewelry, medications, your passport, etc. Otherwise, try to leave expensive jewelry at home. It’s important to protect yourself and your things by not attracting any attention to yourself by wearing flashy jewelry. And obviously, be aware of your surroundings. Some of the popular spring break destinations are riddled with pick-pocketers.

1. Pay attention

When you’re in an unfamiliar place it is crucial to always have your wits about you. Make sure to be alert and aware at all times. Always have a buddy system with at least one friend! It’s important that you always know someone’s whereabouts and someone always has yours. Try to stick to places that are typically well populated, no matter what you’re doing.

1. Make plans

Before leaving your room every day or night, make a set plan for what you’re doing throughout the time you won’t be in your hotel. Decide how long you’ll be out and make sure you and everyone you’re with is on the same page as you in terms of timing/scheduling.

1. Keep yourself healthy

Overall, traveling can be pretty detrimental to your health. You could get sick on the plane from the germs or just from being overly tired. If you’re going somewhere warm, do not forget to put sunscreen on and to stay hydrated! When you’re having fun with your friends, it can be easy to forget simple safety precautions to protect yourself from things like the sun and illnesses. If you can, try to take some mid-day breaks from the sun if it’s really hot outside. I know most of us love being tan, but remember, you can still get tan when it’s cloudy and sunscreen stops sun burns not sun tans!

1. Charge up!

If you’re like most college students in the world, you probably can’t live without your phone. This shouldn’t be too hard, but make sure your phone is on you at all times! But more importantly, make sure you always have enough charge in case you get lost or need to make an important phone call. Try not to use too much phone battery on social media if you know you’ll be away from an outlet for a long period of time.

1. Money

Try and have a little money on you at all times. You never know when you need emergency money! If there’s an ATM machine, go with a friend. It’s always good to go to an ATM machine with someone else. And make sure no one is looking when you’re entering your pin!

1. Swimming/beach safety

Always make sure to have a friend with you while you’re swimming in the ocean. Even if they do not want to go in, make sure they are close by and can see you. Anyone could be at risk without a lifeguard on duty. Make sure to pay attention to the flags to know when you should and should not be swimming.

1. Create a code word

Come up with a code word with your friends that you can say if you feel uncomfortable or when you need their help.

1. Packing

Don’t be afraid to over pack a little bit. You never know what you could forget when you arrive to your destination. Basic things like toiletries and flip-flops can be very overpriced. You don’t want to blow all your vacation money on things you have at home!