Style > Beauty

Spring Into A New You: Style and Beauty Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Spring-cleaning isn’t just for your messy desk and dusty room – it’s just as easy to freshen up your style and beauty routines. I like to think of spring as a tease of summer, so why not treat your style that way? Summer style has so many distinguishing elements: bold and confident clothing choices, bright colors, statement jewelry, and natural beauty. These elements pair surprisingly well with the ethereal images we associate with spring.

Color: There’s nothing wrong with traditionally-springy pastels. But year in and year out these hues can become monotonous. Add a pop of neon or some bold black to your springy ensemble to stand out in a sea of baby pink and robin’s egg blue.

Structure: I love a flowy dress just as much as the next girl, but I love it even more with some unexpected structure. Pair a shift dress with a tailored blazer, or a billowing top with a pair of structured shorts for a clean and feminine look.

Jewelry: It’s fun to play with extremes. Pair simple, neutral outfits with statement jewelry: chunky cuff bracelets, collar necklaces, and bold rings. If you’re wearing something bold, accessorize with delicate, dainty pieces.

Beauty: Pastels, neutrals, and bright colors are all fair game for the spring. The only colors to avoid would be deep, warm tones like cherry red and chocolate brown – save those for winter and fall. 

Don’t be afraid to revamp your style this spring! Throw on a bold outfit bursting with color and hang out on the quad with your friends – the sun is finally shining, so take advantage of these last few weeks on campus and spring into a new you!

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!