This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

We’ve all been there. Spring break rolls around and suddenly one friend’s off to Aruba, another friend’s headed for Florida, and some other friend’s on her way to Turks and Caicos. Meanwhile, your only destination is your family room couch. Although none of us are about to complain about having some time off, after a couple of minutes on Instagram, it can be easy to start wishing you were anywhere but home.

With this kind of mindset, your spring break is destined to be total flop. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Here’s six ways to make your spring break at home the best one yet.

1. Take advantage of having your own space:​ After weeks of having to share with other people, you finally get to do your own thing. Be as loud, messy, and self-centered as you want. Spring break is the time to strut around like you run the place because, really, you kind of do.

2. Hang out with your gang: A​ lthough it’s unlikely that everyone will be home, enough of your friends will be, and that’s definitely reason to celebrate. Round everyone up, and get ready to fill each other in on everything that’s happened over the past couple of months—there’s a lot to cover.

3. Eat as much homemade food as you can:​ No one’s going to argue that homemade food is the best food, and there’s only one place to get itat home. Head into break with a couple of your favorite dishes in mind to make sure your break is filled with delicious food. Try cooking some of them yourself, with a loved one, or with friends. And if you’re feeling especially adventurous, create your own recipe!

4. Go back to some of your favorite places: E​ven though your life at college may feel totally different, coming back home can feel like you never left. Head back to your favorite old coffee shop, run around the park you used to go to, or stop by and chat with an old teacher. It’ll be just like the good old days.

5. Check in on yourself: ​Spring break is the perfect time to let loose and forget about all your obligations. Take a mental health day (or two!), and catch up on your favorite TV series, spend some time writing in a journal, take a bath, or go for a walk. Use this time to refocus yourself and prepare for the remainder of the semester.

6. Spend time with your family:​ They say, “home is where the heart is,” which really is the truth. As fun as your college friends can be, it’ll be nice to be with the people who have been with you since the beginning. Bake cookies with grandma, go for a bike ride with your little sister, watch TV with dad. Simple moments like these promise to be invaluable. 

Olivia is a junior writer and VP Tech for Her Campus Bucknell. She loves being on the Her Campus team because it's a unique platform for college women to support one another. Outside of Her Campus, Olivia is obsessed with her Westie, a lover of all things coral, and a muffin fanatic.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.