Splurge Versus Save: Our Fall Shopping List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

At last, fall has arrived. While we love the comfort of sweater weather, sometimes stocking up on fall essentials can be a bit pricey. If you have shopaholic tendencies, it can be tempting to buy everything in sight when chilly weather rolls around. However, picking when to splurge versus when to save can keep you (and your wallet) happy!

Waxed Cotton Jackets

Splurge: Barbour ‘Beadnell’ – $399

A seasonal staple for fall and winter in the northeast. If you’re willing to spend big, this jacket will last you for years to come. 

Save: J. Crew ‘Downtown Field Jacket’ – $148

Much less expensive than the Barbour option, but don’t worry, quality is not compromised with this J. Crew classic. 

Riding Boots

Splurge: Frye ‘Melissa Button’ Boot – $368

Trust us – these boots will last you for years. High quality leather is a Frye signature touch. Plus, they are just as useful for actual horseback riding as they are for casual wear. 

Save: Matisse ‘Lonnie’ Boot – $99

If you’re not ready to drop $400 on a pair of boots, there are countless other options available ranging in quality and price. Nordstrom has an excellent selection – and here are some comparable (but cheaper!) look-alikes. 

Bags

Splurge: Longchamp ‘Le Pliage’ – $145 (for the standard size, prices vary)

Quel luxe! The French are doing something right, because these are about the most versatile bags on the market. Perfect for class, pleasure shopping, groceries – you name it, Longchamp nails it. 

Save: H&M Tote – $35

H&M is always a great go-to for products that look expensive and trendy, but won’t break the bank. This tote bag is super chic and transitions easily from day to night. 

Sweaters:

Splurge: Madewell Cashmere Side-Slit Pocket Sweater – $198

There isn’t anything quite like cozying up in your favorite cashmere sweater. Extra points if it’s as fashionable, yet minimalistic, as this one. 

Save: Zara Oversize Sweater – $50

Oversize is in – and at this price, how could you say no? Zara is a great place to look for classic pieces with a trendy twist. Whether you like simple or snazzy, it will have something for you.