In Shape for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Spring Break. Those two magic words have been keeping us going through this long, cold semester.  And while those two words fill us with excitement and hope, they can also give us anxiety…about our bodies.  We all want that coveted spring break bod, but with our long awaited vacation only two weeks away, we have to be careful about our expectations.  Transforming your body in two short weeks is impossible, no matter what that juice cleanse website is telling you.  However, there are simple and healthy ways to get yourself feeling in shape and confident for your spring break.  If you are going to be wearing a bikini, a pair of skis, or even your comfy pjs, here are a few tips and tricks that will make you feel amazing this spring break, courtesy of fitness trainer Andrea Gritz (check her out on Facebook—killer bod!).

1.  Plyometrics: These are exercises that have muscles exerting maximum force in a short amount of time.  Plyometrics not only burn calories and get you toned, but you can also do these exercises right in the comfort of your dorm room.   

“Squat jumps, jump rope, and lunge jumps not only strengthen your quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, and ligaments, but they will also shape and tighten your legs to be bikini bound and shapely in your short shorts,” Andrea explains.  “Plyometrics serve as great cardiovascular exercise, and it is also great conditioning for your legs to take on the toughest moguls and slopes!”

Start out with 3 reps of 10 with squat and lunge jumps and multiple reps of 20 to 45 seconds of jump rope. 

Andrea recommends looking up YouTube videos of plyometrics to ensure proper form.  Check out these two to get you started!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hTLK1mdCBJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMS45DjkGDo

2. Paper plate work out: These exercises may sound a little funny, but they are great for toning your core and arms.  Grab two paper plates and place them under your hands in push up position.  Walk you hands across the floor (can be on any floor surface—carpet is the hardest), dragging your feet. Make sure to keep a flat back the entire time.  You can also place the paper plates under your feet in pushup position and pull your knees to your belly button.  Sound crazy?  Take a look at this YouTube video for other ways to use paper plates in your workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6q-NcClUFQ

3. Nutrition: Since getting in shape isn’t only about working out, Andrea gave me a few nutrition tips that will help you get closer to your spring break bod.  She suggests swapping bread for lettuce.  Anything you’d put on a sandwich, put on a salad instead.  Andrea also recommends starting your day with protein to help build up those muscles you are working on.  Foods like eggs, Greek yogurt, almond butter or even chicken are great ways to start off your day.  Try to keep snacking to a minimum (I know it’s hard), but if you must snack, raw veggies are a great choice, you can even eat them with a little hummus or peanut butter.  Making healthy eating choices every day before spring break will make a big difference in your fitness.   

So no matter what your destination is (I hope it’s somewhere warm!), use these exercises and tips to help you feel in shape this spring break.  Don’t let yourself get caught up in the panic for the perfect spring break body, which only leads to unhealthy choices and anxiety.  There is no need to push yourself to exhaustion trying to quickly transform your body.  Being healthy is a habit, not a result.  The important thing to remember is that all you need to look amazing, anytime and anywhere, is confidence, and these tips are just one way to help you get it.

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.