This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

“Snap.” The sound my iPhone makes when I capture the cotton candy clouds and rays of sunshine above Rooke Chapel. I smile and reflect on the splendor I first noticed with my own eyes, then reduced to a 4” x 6” screen. As I decide which filter to use – Valencia or X-Pro II – I find I am awestruck by Bucknell’s beauty, but am bewildered by how quickly time has passed.

They say, “These four years will be the best ones of your life.” At 22, I detest this statement. Four years ago, I thrived off of it; now, I plead it’s entirely inaccurate. While college provided me with an extremely valuable education; everlasting friendships, incredible opportunities, and countless memories I’ll cherish for a lifetime; I remind myself what a rollercoaster it’s been. From forming and letting go of friendships; to perpetually stressing and over-stressing about exams, extracurricular responsibilities, and, oh yes, the future; to good guys, bad guys, shallow guys, and nice guys; to making mistakes and bouncing back; to ultimately finding my voice and sense of self, college has certainly been the best of times and the worst of times. That’s something they fail to tell you when you graduate high school; but truthfully, I guess this is growing up.

Growing up, my parents always told me that life works in mysterious ways. It really all comes down to “angles, leverage, and timing,” as my Dad has repeatedly told me. To succeed in life, you need the right angle or perspective on a situation: life is as much about outlook as it is about working hard. That’s where leverage comes in…a little bit of effort does go a long way. You’ll ultimately be rewarded for hard work, and for going above and beyond for others. Karma is real; what you give to the Universe will be returned to you, especially in the form of timing. While angles and leverage can certainly make life more enjoyable or make things happen for you, it truly all boils down to being in the right place at the right time. Looking back on my experiences at Bucknell, I know this is true. I would have never uncovered my passion for media if I hadn’t met our college newspaper advisor at a meeting during one of my first days as a freshman. I might not have formed the strong bonds with the girls I now consider sisters if I hadn’t met certain people during rush; joined different student organizations if I hadn’t met upperclassmen through the Building on Foundations program; or majored in Film/Media Studies and Spanish if I hadn’t taken certain classes with influential professors during my first semester. I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time for all of these things to work out. But of course, I didn’t get to where I am now without a positive perspective and countless hours of hard work – advice to remember and follow for anyone reading this.

Looking back, there are inevitably things I wish I’d done differently. There are people I wish I’d met sooner, clubs I wish I’d joined, singing groups I wish I’d auditioned for, and a countless list of other things that could have “completed” my Bucknell experience. But I’ve learned not to dwell on the choices I did or didn’t make, or the things that were completely out of my control. My Bucknell experience is as complete as it will ever be based on what I’ve done, who I’ve met, and who I’ve become as a result. Each experience, whether in the classroom or outside of it, has altered my perspective in some way. Learning to communicate clearly, volunteer meaningfully, contribute actively, work passionately, and listen carefully have all made me a stronger individual and a better human being; for this, I am eternally grateful to the Orange and the Blue.

So here’s to all the hours in the library, in the classroom, and in downtown Lewisburg; all the laughs and tears; all the late-night Domino’s and cups of coffee; all the highs and lows; all the mistakes and successes; and most importantly, to all the people who have supported me, listened to me, and believed in me. Above anything else, I will forever cherish these relationships, and each piece of advice I’ve received over the years. To any freshman, sophomore or junior moving onto your next year, take a deep breath. Things will work out as they’re meant to for each of you. Although college feels like a blur sometimes, don’t forget to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you and the people who make this place special.

“Click.” The sound my iPhone makes when I unlock it to scroll through my Instagram profile. I reminisce on each Freez devoured, Chrysalis attended, and sunny day well spent on the Quad. Although it seems like the sun has set on my time at Bucknell, I know I’ll have snapshots to look back on, and memories to cherish in my heart, so “thoughts of thee shall never die.”

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com