The Science Behind Horoscopes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The first thing I do after I pick up the latest Cosmo is flip to the back and see if I have the slightest chance with my crush this month. Prepare to be ignored? Lay off because I’m overwhelming? Eagerly anticipate a month of a blooming love life?

If you’re a believer, than the stars in the dark night sky are aligned to either encourage or dissuade you from making your next move. You may be sitting there whispering “bullsh*t!” to yourself, but believe in it or not, astrology IS a science and your horoscope isn’t just a load of crap. Let’s break down the contents of your horoscope and see what all this means.

Astrology 101:

When you get asked what your sign is, this refers to one of the 12 constellations in which the Sun was at the time of your birth. Each sign has a symbol, an element and is ruled by a planet (except for Cancer and Leo, those are the only two signs not ruled by a planet)

Huh?!

The combination of the sign’s symbol, element, and ruling planet provide meaning to each sign’s individual characteristics.

Element: either fire, earth, water, or air

Fire signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius

These signs are identify characteristics of leadership: action, enthusiasm, receptive to change

Water signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces

Embody sensitivity, emotions, and compassion

Earth signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn

Are highly practical. They emphasize realistic, particular goals

Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius

Are associated with the intellectual, characteristics of understanding, deep thought, and reason.

Ruling planet: the planet that resides in your signs house at the time of your birth.

Yeah, yeah…

Looking up your sun sign is easy. What makes a sign have a good romantic prediction one month, yet a fortune of getting led on and rejected the next? Believe it or not, it’s the planets alignment.

When reading your horoscope, you will come across astrological phrases such as “Venus is in the seventh house”. Each house symbolizes the orbital of the 12 astrological signs. However, each house represents a specific area of life. For example, one may represent personality, material goods, family, romance, etc. Depending on which planet is currently residing in which house at the exact time of the Sun’s position, predictions are made in relevance to the patterns and traits of your sign for that month.

Wait, you lost me…

In other words, each planet has its own individual personality, kind of like each actor on a Netflix show. Each sign, on the other hand, is the specific character or role for the actor to play, which can inflate or subdue an actor’s personality. The positions of the planets in their orbitals around the sun symbolize the relationships between the characters, which influences the overall current episode production. Lastly, each house is a different setting for the actors to play out their role. All together, each month is new episode and your horoscope is just your sign’s foretold script in your romantic prediction. Hint: Look for when Venus is in your house! Venus is the planet of love and when aligned with your sign, you are looking at a month of snuggling and giggling with your biggest crush! 

Anything else?

Not into checking your daily or monthly love horoscope? Save yourself the time and follow the following chart to see which frat star you should pursue after stalking their Facebook to check out their birthday! Certain signs are more compatible with one another based on the characteristics of their sign, symbol, and element, as we discussed before. A vigorous horoscope believer like me? Bookmark http://www.huffingtonpost.com/horoscopes/ and check in to see when is the best time to make your move!

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.