S. U. G. A. R. – How to Combat Your Sweet Tooth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

With all of those Valentine’s day treats lying around, it’s easier than ever to give into temptation. And that’s perfectly okay…in moderation! We crave sweetness over any other flavor from birth. This preference becomes reinforced by rewarding ourselves with sweet treats, which can make us crave sugar even more. Carbohydrates stimulate the release of the feel-good brain chemical, serotonin. So yes, there is such thing as a “sugar high”. Eating copious amounts of simple carbohydrates without a significant source of proteins/fats will only satisfy hunger with a quick energy boost. Those carbohydrates will quickly leave you even hungrier later on, craving more sweets.

There is a huge difference between cravings and hunger. When you are truly hungry, your body is less specific about its preference for food. When you are craving something, you are not as hungry as you think you are and often overeat. I’ve come up with a handy acronym to help distinguish between hunger and cravings, and how to combat sugar cravings: S. U. G. A. R. 

S. Sip some tea, water or even coffee if you really need an energy boost. Sometimes thirst disguises itself as hunger. You may find that after a glass/cup or two, that you are not as hungry as you thought. Even if you are still hungry, the craving should go away. (Cinnamon Streusel tea is my favorite for fighting sugar cravings!)

U. Understand the cause of the craving. Is it a menstrual craving? If so, it may be best to indulge a little. With all of your other symptoms considered, it’s okay to eat something sweet.  I recommend a QuestBar to satisfy any sweet tooth. They’re incredibly low in sugar and carbohydrates, high in protein and they are absolutely delicious. Did you get enough sleep last night? Fatigue also disguises itself as hunger. When you lack sleep, your body tries to find alternate sources of energy, making you crave sugar and other simply carbohydrates. Find the source of the craving, identify whether or not you can control it, and then form a solution.

G. Gum. Chew it. Sugar free gum can help put off cravings and are especially helpful for stress eaters. If you are prone to munching while studying, or “anxious eating,” chewing gum can be very helpful. (Just make sure it’s aspartame-free!)

A. Apples. Or any other fruit. If you are really craving something sweet, and your mouth is telling you “chocolate, chocolate, chocolate” you might actually find that eating a piece of fruit will take away the craving. Your brain is telling you it needs sugar, not chocolate. Fruits are filled with natural sugars that will give you the short energy burst, combined with nutrients and vitamins that your body will thank you for.

R. Remember. Remember your goals. If your goals are to be healthy and fit, you should keep that in mind. Keep in mind how hard you have worked and how much further you have to go, don’t let one craving lead to a giant binge. At the same time, remember that it’s okay to indulge. One piece of chocolate will hurt as much as the walk from a parking lot to a building will help.

(American Dietetic Association)