Rekindling Your Love to Learn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

When I was in elementary school, I would come home every day with my Little Mermaid lunchbox in hand, waiting for my parents to ask me the same question: “how was school?”

Everyday, I answered with enthusiasm and spunk. “Amazing!” or “so fun!” would precede a list of the cool things I learned. Sometimes I would even take out a piece of paper and demonstrate to my parents my mastery of cursive or problem-solving. As we trudge mindlessly through finals and the end of the year, this primary school positivity seems distant and difficult to replicate. If you’re like me, you’re wondering why you can’t feel like that anymore. What happened to our passion to learn and discover?

First of all, you’re almost done with the year – get that in your head. This an incredibly difficult time, designed to test you on your knowledge rather than allow you to experience it “naturally.” While I’d love to give you a tip to make finals fun and uber-manageable, that’s not the purpose here.

Think about it this way: as we come into summer, it is tempting to burn all your physics tests and quizzes and sit in your bed all day, or maybe go to some parties. But, summer is the freest and most relaxed time of the year for students like ourselves, and it is a wonderful opportunity to make a change in how you view learning, rather than focusing on hating school.

Of course, give your brain a chance to relax, but don’t let it completely shut off. Many people will read a book for leisure by the side of the pool to stay in this rhythm, but there is so much more to experience in your quest for knowledge!

Learn a language.

This is something we do in college, but taking the pressure off and doing it at your own pace can be very rewarding. Don’t have the time or energy to commit to summer classes or tutoring? Free apps like Duolingo make it really easy to start from scratch and take your time while still staying encouraged to keep up the good work!

Learn a culture.

If you get the chance to travel, take it! And by travel, I don’t mean Club Med. Exploring new cultures does not have to be an international or expensive experience. Taking a road trip around your state and finding a small town to get ice cream might teach you just as much. Step out of your bubble, strike up a conversation with someone new, and reap the benefits.

Learn a skill.

This seems obvious – we spend our time in college trying to prepare ourselves for the real world. Usually, we have a focus on one career path, and it seems unnecessary to do anything “extra.” But, you can learn fun things, too! In most states, 18-year-olds can take a few quick classes to become a licensed bartender; that’s not something you can learn at Bucknell!

Learn to live.

This might be the farthest from what you actually do in school, but definitely the most important. Whether it is healthy eating, exercise, or just being happy in your day-to-day activities, find something that makes you look forward to every day. Having a reason to get up in the morning and go on will help you discover more about not only your surroundings, but yourself. Go on a run, write in your journal, cook up a creative dinner – whatever it takes to make you feel like you’re really living.

Most of all, understand that there is a difference between school and learning. While we may never find a way to love finals, by discovering that we do have opportunities to learn in a different way, we can find peace with the idea of productivity. Netflix is not the only path to relaxation, I promise.