Prom Memories You’ll Never Forget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s your junior year, and you finally get that invitation in the mail. You knew it was coming—it’s all you have thought about since the snow began to thaw. You scroll through your friend’s Facebook photos, wondering whether they might lend you a dress; you’ll only wear it once anyway. At the same time, you have bookmarked that perfect gown that you know will fit just right. You dare to consider the worst—that you may not be asked, and you will be forced to go alone, if you decide to go at all. Do you remember that excitement? That anxiety? You guessed it ladies. It’s your very first prom.

To all high school girls preparing to strap into their heels sometime this month, we are here for you. To all women who have already sipped punch while listening to a novice DJ, I invite you to join me in celebrating the right of passage that is prom.

The Dress

Picking out a prom dress is truly an art form. Online dress shopping is a game of Russian Roulette. Picking the right dress size is close to impossible, and the color is almost never as it appears. When the dress arrives and is inevitably nothing like it looked online, all hell breaks lose. Rush orders are placed, and the only option is to pray that the dress arrives on your doorstep before your date does.

Another more frugal option is to borrow a dress from a friend, provided that there is someone with good taste that is built exactly like you. Unfortunately, fashionable doppelgangers are sometimes few and far between. But, if you are lucky enough to find such an anomaly, seize the opportunity.

But worry not prom first-timers: when the big day finally comes, you will find that your hard work has paid off, and you’ll feel absolutely beautiful.

The Date

With each passing day, the pressure to find a date to the dance increases. All it takes is for someone to write, “Me + You = PROM?” on the chalkboard, and suddenly the chick in the front row of Geometry has become the first junior girl with a date. The mayhem ensues—roses and signs fill the hallways, and pairs form every day until the day of.

One major decision is whether it is better to go with a crush or a friend. With the right execution, the night could blossom into a relationship with the guy whose name makes your heart skip a beat when it lights up your phone screen. On the other hand, taking picture after picture and making small talk with unfamiliar parents could potentially kill the vibe. Going to prom with a crush is a high-stakes choice, while going with a friend is low-risk.

So girls, just go with someone who will say hello to your parents, give you a corsage, and make you laugh.

Have Fun

My little sister, Rachel, is about to go to her very first junior prom next weekend. I wanted to conclude by telling her, and any readers also in her high-heeled shoes, to cherish the experience. I’m not saying that you will enjoy shuffling on the dance floor to the beat of “I Gotta Feeling,” or the sub par buffet food, but there will be perfect moments, too. Your mom will be incredibly embarrassing—squealing with excitement while holding the camera upside down. Your father will glow with pride as he realizes his little girl is now an incredible young woman. Have a great night, ladies. Start a conga line for me.

Olivia is a sophomore at Bucknell University where she studies Global Management. She lives in Connecticut with her parents and her little sister/best friend. She hopes to graduate from college in four years and find a career in business.