Outfits Fit for Summertime Frolicking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the summertime when the sun’s shining brightly, it’s tough to not have a good day. Seriously…how could you be unhappy when you’re surrounded by your best friends, dancing like fools beneath the summer sun and romping though the lush green grass together? But of course, as fabulous collegiettes, we’ve got to look our best at all times…even if the inescapable summertime accessory is beads of sweat on our brows and backs. This outfit guide will give you great tips on how to dress appropriately for some apropos summertime tomfoolery.  

• Free to romp: It’s called a “romper” for a reason, ladies. Invest in a cute cotton one, either in a solid color or a fun floral print, and I promise you won’t regret it. Pair with some awesome gladiator sandals, diva shades, and piles upon piles of bracelets, and feel free to romp all day long.
  • Sundress central: Another obvious choice: sundresses are meant for the sun, and what better time to wear ’em than in the summer? Try wearing yours with some Supergas or Converse sneakers for a casual twist, or try a lightweight linen scarf and sandals for a slightly dressed-up ensemble. Layer delicate necklaces with it, belt it, or let it flow freely in the summer breeze…any way you wear it, an eye-catching sundress is a certain summertime outfit win.
  • Blue jean baby: Can’t tear yourself away from your favorite pair of ripped-up Levi’s denim shorts? There’s no problem with wearing ’em all the time! Keep your beloved bottoms feeling fresh by wearing with a crop top, a braided leather belt, and some cool sandals. Add a mid-arm cuff, tons of eclectic rings for your fingers, and perhaps even a flower or two in your hair…after all, it is summertime.
  • New twist on an old favorite: Chino shorts can get hot and heavy on a warm, humid day. Instead, opt for cotton fabric shorts that are much more lightweight and breezy. Add a cotton tee, long necklaces, and some flip flops, and you’re set for a day of basking in the sun.
  • A gift from above: Repeat after me: Maxi dress. It’s easily gotta be the most comfortable thing to wear. Ever. Whether you rock a full-length floral number, or one in an eye-catching solid color, the options for accessorizing are endless, and the comfort level is unbelievable. If you don’t have one already, go buy one, and you’ll be more than happy wearing it while dancing the day away under the sun.

Whether you’re more of a shorts-and-a-tee-shirt or dress kinda gal, there are plenty of options for summertime fashion. While it may be hard to stay cool in the sun, looking cool is no sweat. So get dressed in your best summer outfit, get out in the sun, breathe in the fresh air, and carpe diem…from sunrise to sunset.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com