This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As businesses focus on corporate social responsibility, it’s upsetting when our favorite clothing stores behave poorly, selling items that are offensive (seriously, Urban Outfitters?) or underpaying their workers (Forever 21’s clothes are cheap for you, but high cost for those who make the clothes). What’s a girl that cares to do? Don’t worry, here’s a guide to get you started!

Apparel:J. Crew

J. Crew is committed to sourcing their products in a legal, ethical and responsible manner. J. Crew supports public education and a variety of non-profits, aims to leave as little of an impact as possible on the environment, and is transparent about their business processes in order to stay accountable.

Cotton On

“The Cotton On Group is focused on building an ethical, sustainable and profitable business and ensuring we have a positive impact on our people, the community, the planet and all those we connect with. It’s not only the right thing to do; it’s the best way to do business.” Cotton On aims to provide customers with products that are ethically designed, sourced, produced, and sold.

L.L. Bean

Social responsibility is a priority at L.L. Bean. L.L. Bean embraces and practices environmental stewardship, ethical labor rights and labor conditions, supporting the community, and a legacy of giving.

Good hYOUman

Proudly “knit, cut, sewn, garment dyed, hand screen printed in Los Angeles,” Good hYOUman offers responsibly-made garments with a list of about 30 different inspirational phrases.

Saving the World Apparel (STWA)

If you want the latest in cool apparel that’s good for the world, STWA has it. All of their products are made in the U.S. or Canada and are 100% sweatshop free. They hand print their designs in Vermont with water-based, environmentally friendly dyes. Each product helps benefit a world-changing non-profit organization with a donation. 

Patagonia

Patagonia engages in a range of due diligence activities to promote fair labor practices and ensure good working conditions in their factories. Patagonia employees travels the globe, building relationships with suppliers that make high-quality materials while reducing their environmental and social impact.

Shoes:Toms

You know the deal: you buy a pair of shoes and a kid in a developing country gets a pair. TOMS focuses on the environmental and social impacts of their products and operations, responsible giving and employee life. A bonus? TOMS works with sustainable and vegan materials.

Sanuk

While you may not have heard of Sanuks, Deckers (the parent company), is also the parent company of Uggs and Tevas, as well as several other brands. The company’s Corporate Responsibility page claims, “We believe in good business, the kind that helps our community and our environment and inspires the younger generation.” Additionally, Sanuk is a partner with Operation Smile, an international children’s medical charity that provides free reconstructive surgery for children born with cleft lips and cleft palates

Vans

Vans is also an environmentally conscious brand. Vans is a part of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition and regularly conducts audits to assess their waste. Vans constantly strives to improve its environmental responsibility efforts. In 2013, Van’s distribution center in Santa Fe Springs became a zero-waste facility.

Accessories:Made with love

MADE WITH LOVE is a global initiative dedicated to raising funds and awareness for NGOs, aiding women and children in need through the production and sale of products that provide a fair income for women in Brazil and Africa. 

These are just a few! It only takes a few minutes online to see if your outfit cares. Shop with Meaning is a great blog that discusses what to shop and what to drop. Still looking for more? Try including the terms “corporate social responsibility,” “social responsibility,” or “criticisms” after the name of the brand you want to check on. If you want to find some hidden gems, look for “socially responsible” clothing!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com