Not Every News Story is Depressing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As temperatures drop and days get shorter, it can be easy to look at the world around us and feel especially bleak. In these moments, it is important to remember that even as days get colder and darker and good news seems further and further out of reach there is still so much to feel good about. With that in mind, here are five news stories to brighten up your day, warm your heart, and remind you to stay hopeful.

1. Pets and People Are Joyously Reuniting After California Wildfires

In the aftermath of the recent California wildfires many citizens are facing the damage and coming to terms with the mass destruction caused by the fires. During these fires, many families were forced to evacuate their homes and leave behind some of their most meaningful belongings, including their pets. Pet owners forced to leave behind their companions feared for the worst after the fires; however, in many cases owners have been reunited with their pets thanks to the efforts of local animal shelters. In the case of the Trabucco family, they lost track of one of their cats in the chaos of evacuating their house. When they received a phone call several days later that their cat was at an animal shelter they were overjoyed. The family reported, “He’s been glued to us and purring. All he wants is to be held.” This is just one of many reunions that occurred between pets and owners during the aftermath of the wildfires and it is a great reminder to stay hopeful even in difficult times.

2. Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Brings Holiday Cheer to the Plaza

Of course, everyone is familiar with the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree; however, the story of this year’s tree’s trip to the Big Apple hits especially close to home for the Bison. Not far from Bucknell in State College, Pennsylvania the 80-year-old spruce was growing in the backyard of Jason Perrin when a Rockefeller Center gardener spotted it. Perrin explains, “Erik (the gardener) told me my tree looked like it was tall and wide enough, and full enough, and he thought that in a few years it might be ready to be the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree.” Seven years later the tree found its way from central Pennsylvania to New York City where hundreds of tourists will visit it before the end of the holiday season.

3. Dentist Provides Free Dental Care for The Homeless Every Friday After Work

Kevin Shanahan, a dental technician, spends his Friday nights providing dental care for the homeless people in his community. He helps about 20 people each week and works to instill confidence by fitting them with dentures if necessary. Stating, “When you give someone teeth you give them a little bit of confidence and you’ll find they’ll smile more – so you’re building a person from the inside out,” Shanahan explains his motivation for the work he does. Also, he works in conjuncture with other volunteers who serve meals and provide haircuts. The efforts of these individuals help to serve the community and to improve the lives of others. Especially around the holidays it is important to think of those around us and to look for ways to reach out when we can.

4. Anonymous Donor Buys Every Toy at Goodwill, Gives Them to Children for Free

Every year for the past decade an anonymous donor has surprised the customers at a Goodwill in Collins, Colorado by purchasing all the toys and books in the store and allowing the children to pick one to take home. This tradition has brought joy to many children around the holidays and spreads cheer throughout the community and beyond.

5. Mall Santa Goes Extra Mile for Boy with Autism

Visiting Santa Claus and sharing Christmas wishes is an important and meaningful Christmas tradition for many children; however, for children with autism the large crowds, the interactions with strangers, and the physical contact that accompany a visit with Santa are far too overwhelming. Instead of accepting that children with autism could never participate in this Christmas tradition, the group Autism Speaks set up a program called the Caring Santa program which accommodate for the specific needs of the children and allows them to have the best experiences possible. The mother of an autistic boy who participated in the program explained, “It’s a great way for families to experience a holiday tradition.” This inclusive program exists at over 120 malls across the country and allows children to have special and memorable holiday experiences.