Not All Heroes Wear Capes: The Dream Team Behind Cafsgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Each November Bostwick Marketplace hosts its annual Cafsgiving feast. As early as 3 pm Bucknellians can be seen swarming the ELC, anxiously awaiting an all-you-can-eat buffet of turkey, sides, desserts, and more. The caf becomes a battleground as students elbow their way through crowds of hangry people, trying to claim an empty seat or grab that last slice of pumpkin pie. This Bucknell tradition is beloved by many, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving, lets not forget to appreciate the people who make it all possible!

We met with members of the caf staff to express our thanks and get to know them better.  First we chatted with Becky. She has been bringing Bucknellians delicious meals for 27 years!  Her favorite thing about working at Bucknell is getting to know the students, and she especially enjoys seeing our outfits. She has “a passion for fashion,” and loves learning about new styles from trendy Bucknell students. Bucknellians make her feel appreciated when they “just smile and say hi!”

Next we got to know Jerard. His favorite thing about working at Bucknell is getting to know students from all over the world. “Bucknellians come from all different places and backgrounds. Its so cool to get to talk to people with diverse perspectives.” He told us he was very nervous to start his job here, but everyone has been so kind and polite that now he feels at home on campus. Bucknellians make him feel appreciated when they “strike up conversations,” and tell him about their day.     

Finally, we chatted with Emma. She makes the tasty pizzas Bucknell students love so much. When we asked how Bucknell students could make her feel appreciated she said, “It makes me feel really good when the kids compliment my pizza. We all work so hard to make meals the students can enjoy, and it feels great to know we’re doing a good job.” Her favorite thing about working in Bostwick Marketplace is “creating a home away from home for the students who live faraway, and can’t leave campus on the holidays. The international students eat in here during the breaks, and we all like being a sort of family for them.”    

This holiday season let’s not forget to show appreciation to all the Bucknell staff who make it possible for us to feel at home on campus!

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.