This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

A new year means a self-proclaimed “new you”! A year potentially filled with many resolutions you may or may not intend to keep. Yes, you have promised yourself that you will study harder or lose those couple of pounds you’ve gained over break, which always means taking some time away from rest and relaxation. One huge threat stands in the way of ridding your life of distractions: Netflix. The guilt formed by just thinking of starting a Netflix show may feel painful, even impossible as your conscious screams “do something with your life!” or “Don’t start ANOTHER show!”

I shut my conscious up because everyone in his or her life needs a little relaxation time. Luckily, I have created a list of some awesome new Netflix releases that won’t make you feel so guilty and are definitely worth checking out. As the cold weather commences, put your snuggle mode on and hop under those covers with a laptop or television nearby. Kick back, make some hot chocolate, and shut out the worries in your life as you tune into these new releases on Netflix.

1. Friends I am sure anyone and everyone with a pulse has heard about the release of the entire series of “Friends” on Netflix. The world gasped a unison “finally!” as millions of anxious teens and adults tweeted and made statuses about the revolutionary new addition to Netflix. “Friends” follows the story of six twenty-something year old friends living in NYC who deal with relationships, love, heartbreak, and overall hilarious situations the group always finds themselves in.Perfect for: After a long day of class and stress when all you need is a good laugh. A plus side of the show is that it is only twenty-minute episodes, so it can be a perfect study break in between classes and work.

2. Scandal “Scandal” follows the story of Olivia Pope, a woman living in modern day D.C. whose main job is to cover up scandals that happen in Washington. The juicy drama is both passionate and violent, a combination that can sometimes be difficult to find in a good television series.  Perfect for: The girl who needs some new juicy gossip and drama in her life. Pour some wine in Olivia Pope wine glasses as you and your friends gather around the t.v. for some fun late night binge watching. The plus side of this show is that it involves politics, so you can feel somewhat good about yourself while watching it. I like to refer to it as “educational television”.

3. Craigslist Joe Not necessarily a new release, “Craigslist Joe” is a hidden gem of Netflix I only recently discovered. The documentary follows the story of Joseph, a 29 year old who goes on a month-long journey in which he gets rid of all of his belongings and depends on ads posted on Craigslist. Everything in his life for that month comes from Craigslist, ranging from food to shelter to camaraderie.  In a tough economic situation, he relies solely on the humanity of America and the goodwill of those he comes into contact with.Perfect for: The individual who is feeling down and needs some uplifting relaxation. The story truly is inspirational and can open your eyes up to some new realizations we often pass by in a world filled with such an important emphasis on material goods, power, and wealth.

4. Black Mirror “Black Mirror” is a very interesting series that displays the dark side of society’s increasing obsession and dependence on technology. Each episode has a different plot line, cast, and setting, but they all focus on the common theme of warning the world of what society can become as technology’s popularity rises.Perfect for: The individual looking for a creepy/ eerie new show. Though definitely eye opening in a potentially negative way, it is a good watch and can make you change the way you look at your own life and the world.

5. Frontline: Secret State of North Korea Okay, I decided that I should squeeze some actually educational Netflix release onto this list. This documentary goes into an in depth investigation of the North Korean government, analyzing the puzzling leader Kim Jong-Un. It has gotten some very interesting reviews so far, many critics noting that the usage of smuggled and never before seen video tapes makes it incredibly interesting to see a country that many may not know that much about.Perfect for: A day when you’re feeling like you should educate yourself a little bit more but don’t feel like watching a super-boring documentary. This one is truly interesting and eye opening. Plus, you can sound educated the next time you need to impress a teacher, parent, or even that cute political science major.

WARNING: A lot of these shows may be addicting, and there are a lot of episodes to get through within each series. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com