Navigating Senior Year and Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

College provides the unique opportunity of always having a fresh start at the end of August. New clubs, roommates and activities allow students on campus to reconnect with old friends, create new traditions and set the tone for one of the “best four years of your life.” What adult figures and parents tend to talk about less is what happens when you start to hit the end of the road during senior year and have to think about coming up with a plan for post-graduation. Suddenly the reality of college coming to a close and knowing that it’s “the final year” brings out every emotion. But, with fresh perspective, a little planning and using some seniority, you can easily make the most of your last year in college.

Take Advantage of Something New         

Seeing freshmen going out might make you feel like every outlet at school has been wrung dry, but in reality, there are so many opportunities and unchartered territory in both Lewisburg and throughout the Bucknell community. Take a road trip with your roommates, join a new activity, or check something off the bucket list you made freshman year and tucked away. Tackling a new challenge in a place that feels so comfortable by now is oddly liberating, and getting to know more underclassmen and being a resource is a great way to give back to Bucknell as a whole. Every place has new places to discover or story to make, even if it takes more effort.

Prep (Just a Little Bit)

Remember being the youthful first year and having everyone tell you that the four years goes by so fast and that you should savor every moment? May is coming faster than it seems, so getting the stress-inducing grunt work out of the way will allow you to fully enjoy it. Though easier said than done, you should take advantage of career advancement opportunities, meet with the CDC (there is not one in the real world), or just update your LinkedIn in preparation for job applications before the senioritis – and panic – sets in second semester.

Compare yourself to no one

Throughout life, most classmates have gone on the same path as you. However, now things are beginning to drastically change. Friends are going to get jobs quickly, get into grad school and seemingly have their life set up perfectly. You may find yourself struggling to make it to class, bombing an important job interview, or wearing the same pair of sweatpants for the last three days. It’s okay. Own the sweatpants, because whatever comes out of your unique path is for you to experience.

Let Go         

Talk to the people who intimidate you, become friends with a professor you enjoy. Connect with that person who you’ve been seeing around since freshman year but have never spoken to. It could be pleasantly surprising, and if things go badly, you’re graduating anyway. You have one year left to take advantage of the free time and the little responsibility that you will likely have for a while, so make the most of it. Good luck!

Emma Sheehy is a senior English major at Bucknell University. Now washed up, she can be seen running around Lewisburg, people watching on the first floor of the library and drinking wine in her apartment. She prefers to send snail mail, call people rather than text (to the dismay of her friends) and loves nighttime walks. To see more of her "stuff" check out her personal blog on life at Bucknell at http://www.emmasheehy.com.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.