Meet: Will Evans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Meet Will Evans! A peer educator for Speak Up Bucknell, Will is co-coordinating a training program for fraternity men to Speak Up against the bystander model. Read more to see how he got involved with this organization and more about his experiences as a leader at Bucknell!

1. When did you first become involved with Speak Up Bucknell?I first became involved with Speak Up Bucknell my sophomore year. Back in 2011, which seems like a long time ago.

2. How did you become involved with Speak Up Bucknell?I became involved with Speak Up because through a series of serendipitous events, I ended up at discussion about sexual assault the fall of my sophomore year. The discussion seemed productive and interesting, and Tracy and Marie were handing out information about their new program, Speak Up Bucknell. I wasn’t involved with much on campus and decided on wanting to make a lasting impact on sexual assault education here, so I filled out the application, pretended some professors would recognize my face, and ended up joining the programs inaugural group that spring. I’ve enjoyed it ever since.

3. What is the difference between Speak Up and other organizations on campus?I think the main difference between Speak Up and most other organizations is that we are both education-focused and primarily run by peers. We have faculty support (now technically Padma, but also Tracy and Marie) who will help teach us new information, but it is almost entirely up to the peers to decide what and how we present to fellow students. For example, Padma spent I don’t know how long creating our new dating violence presentation. Yet, she was still completely behind the peers tearing it apart and reworking 3/4 of it. That’s unheard of.

4. What can we expect to see in the future with Speak Up?You can expect to see us grow the program rapidly. In our pilot program this semester we trained nine men, but for our next semester we might be look to train as many as 30. I’m not positive yet what extent their impact on campus will reach, but I think at the very least, they will act as role models for the positive bystander model and give a voice to the men (especially fraternity men) on campus who have always silently thought, “I’m not really comfortable with that, but I’m not sure what to say.” These men are trained to know what to say and start the conversation. If you’d like to know a little more about them you can find that here: http://www.bucknell.edu/campus-life/sexual-misconduct/speak-up-bucknell-peer-education/peer-education-in-action.html. We encourage you to feel free approaching them at any time, for any reason, especially if you or a friend needs help.

5. Do you hope to pursue a career in activism or hope to continue work with programs like Speak Up Bucknell post-graduation?I’m not sure what form activism or programs like Speak Up will take for me after graduating next year, but I think they will always be there in some facet of my life. Most of my activism comes from my grandmother, and, while she never made a career out of it per se, all the way into her 80s, she was helping people and communities in much more impressive ways than I am. I’d like to live up to her ideal in life that no matter your situation, how small or large the action is, or who the person is, you should always use some of your time to help others and make a positive contribution in your world. (On that note if anyone hasn’t signed up for Relay for Life please consider doing it. I will be walking in her and my grandfather’s honor and would love to see you there.)

Favorites:

• Spot on Campus: Rugby pitch.
  • Meal at Bucknell: 6in turkey sub, mozzarella sticks, sour cream and onion chips, and a root beer. Yes that’s one meal.
  • Class: Discrete Structures with Professor Piggot (seriously)
  • Thing about Bucknell: I can listen to music as loud as I want without upsetting my mom
  • Freez Flavor: Despite loving ice cream, I’ve actually never been to the Freez.

Fun facts

1. When I was much younger I placed first in a horse riding competition at a dude ranch in Arizona. I still have the ribbon somewhere. 
  2. I’ve been on boats since literally before I could walk. 
  3. When my younger sister was born I tried to name her “buckethead.” In my defense, I thought these types of things were up to me, I already had two older sisters, and I didn’t need another one. 
  4. I have a guitar that mocks me everyday because I’ve never learned to play it. Honestly, I got it freshmen year, and I’ve brought it to and from school more times than I’ve played it. It just sits in my room all smug and unplayable. I’m still convinced I will learn someday.