Meet: Professor Erica Delsandro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In honor of Homecoming 2014, we thought it would be best to feature not only one of the most raved about Professors on campus but also a fellow Bucknellian, filled with her very own orange and blue pride.  Meet Professor Erica Delsandro, class of 2002. 

Quick Q’s:Class Year at Bucknell: BA 2002Degree from Bucknell: BA in English and HistoryDegree post Bucknell (and where from): Washington University in St. Louis (PhD)Department at Bucknell: Women and Gender Studies

What significant changes have you noticed on campus since your college graduation? Do you think these changes are for better or for worse?There are two noticeable and significant changes: the campus population has gotten more diverse and the campus has gotten much bigger.  In terms of the first, I applaud Bucknell on its commitment to increasing diversity, and I do think that as an institution we can do more — especially when it comes to making the campus a welcoming and hospitable place for students of all races, sexes, genders, classes, sexual orientations, and degrees of able-bodiedness.  The fight against racism, sexism, and gender violence is something everyone at Bucknell should care about.  For those Bucknellians from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, the physical changes might be the first thing of note.  There are new buildings and the green space is configured differently.  With the group of new buildings going up behind Bucknell West, Bucknell is bringing to fruition a version of the campus master plan from early in the University’s history.  I should mention one more difference: cost.  From when I enrolled to my ten year reunion, the cost of a year at Bucknell doubled.

What was the favorite place you lived on campus during your four years here and why?That is easy!  The second floor of Harris.  It was my sophomore year and my friends and I block-booked the hall.  And back then, Harris was relatively newly renovated.  We thought we were lucky: all together and in a fairly nice dorm!  (The Mods and the Gateways were for juniors with good lottery numbers and seniors back then.)

What organizations, if any, were you involved with during your time at Bucknell?I was a member of BSG for four years and I served on the academic sub-committee.  While I was on that committee we extended library hours and worked to get online registration instituted.  I was also involved in Activities and Campus Events; Chrysalis became a tradition during my years at Bucknell as did MidnightMadness.  (Does that still happen?)  I was also a Peer Writing Tutor, which I loved!

Have you taught at any other universities other than Bucknell?  If so, where and when?I’ve taught at Bloomsburg University and Lycoming College, both in the area and both in the last several years.  I also taught at my graduate institution, Wash U.

What drew you back to Bucknell?I came back to Bucknell while I was finishing my dissertation in order to gain interesting and challenging teaching opportunities.  It was easy to take that professional “risk” because I was returning to a familiar community of friends and mentors.

How would you characterize Bucknell’s student body and overall community?Engaged.  Sometimes I wish the student body was less engaged in the social scene and more engaged in politics, academics, or activism!  But generally speaking, I think students have passion, enthusiasm, and commitment.  Faculty would like, I think, to redirect those qualities sometimes towards more academic pursuits.  But overall, in my time here as a faculty member, I have seen the level of activism, political consciousness, and commitment to cultivating an equitable community increase.  That is a great development!

What is one piece of advice you would give to readers as a alumn, professor, and fellow Bucknellian?That Bucknell is a living institution: dynamic and evolving.  Traditions are important but so are development, reflection, and the ability to change.  Bucknell is different now than it was and will be different in the future.  If you are a student, help Bucknell become its best.  If you an alum, let Bucknell evolve: its ability to adapt to a changing world is the only way it will continue to thrive.  We will all have our memories of Bucknell, but it is important for the larger Bucknell community to assist the University in rising to the challenges of today and meeting the needs of tomorrow.

Favorites:

• Class to teach: I can’t choose! Each class I teach is great in its own way.
  • Downtown restaurant: I don’t eat out much. I do like to go to the Farmer’s Markets on Wednesday and Friday
  • Freez flavor: I am a purist: vanilla with sprinkles
  • Bucknell tradition: Candlelighting is powerful. I was reminded how powerful last year when I went for the first time in long while. (That was me, crying in the first row!) Also, the Vagina Monologues; it is so important and so much fun! (Another event that usually brings me to tears.)
  • Building on campus: Vaughan Literature is probably my favorite. As an English major I took many classes in that building and loved having my office in there last year when I was teaching for the English Department. That said, the Stadler Center for Poetry — the Poetry Palace — is a very special place. Literature really comes to life in that graceful space.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com