Meet our BSG President, Phil Kim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
Phil Kim: President of BSG, Homecoming Host, Neuroscience major, and the list goes on.  Even though Phil is one of the busiest Bucknellians, it is rare to spot him on campus without a smile.  This seriously makes us wonder– how does he do it all?  Well, Phil has admitted he doesn’t need much sleep.  Aside from that, we may never know his secret to success.  What we do know is that this admirable senior has continuously made positive contributions to the Bucknell community, and we are thrilled to have him as this week’s Campus Celebrity.
Hometown: Troy, Michigan
Neuroscience Major, Legal Studies and Economics Minors

How did you first become involved in BSG?
I first became involved in BSG my first year. I came in as a Class of 2012 Representative. I then took on the role of Chair of the Academic Affairs internal committee my sophomore year, then took on my current role as President.

What does your position entail?
I am the presiding officer of the Executive Board, the Executive Committee, and General Congress. I act as the liaison between faculty, staff, administrators, trustees, and students and represent BSG in all levels of the University. I largely oversee all the day-to-day operations of BSG. I also act as Chair of the Committee on Student Engagement, a committee that I formed Spring 2011.
If you could choose the single best experience you have had as student body president, what would it be?
I’m honored in my position to meet so many dynamic people. My best experiences come from meeting not only a multitude of students, but faculty, staff, administrators, and especially alumni. I particularly enjoyed the Volunteer Leadership Summit that took place over Homecoming Weekend. It was a program put on by the Alumni Association that essentially brings together representatives from all of Bucknell’s leadership organizations into one room for a day of networking.

What keeps you motivated?
I’m very fortunate enough to have come to Bucknell supported by substantial financial aid. In many ways, my involvement with organizations such as BSG is my way of giving back to Bucknell the wonderful opportunities that have been provided for me. I love Bucknell, and my leadership is simply my way to contributing to the overall betterment of the campus.

What is one thing we wouldn’t know about you at first glance?
I don’t get much sleep. In fact, on average, I only get about 4 hours a night, depending on the week. However, I’m pretty lively during the day. I hate caffeine and taking any sort of energy supplement. I’m not sure where my energy comes from!

Favorites

Part about Bucknell: The people. I always tell my tours that though we live in the middle of no-where, one thing is for certain: people come to Lewisburg for Bucknell and no other reason. And that means a lot in terms of the kind of relationship that you are able to build. People love this school, and it’s easily seen beginning day one of orientation.

Class taken: Theatre in London. I took this while I was abroad in Fall 2010 while I was in the Bucknell in London program. Every week we saw a different play or musical.
Freez Flavor: I’m actually lactose intolerant.. so though I don’t eat a lot of dairy products, I still love the Oreo Freez.
Hangout spot on campus: The benches on top of the quad. Always reminds me of why I came to Bucknell.
Activity outside of BSG: Advancing Communities: Educating and Serving (ACES). It’s an alternative spring break service trip to the Dominican Republic that I have been a part of since my first year.

A few random facts:
  • I’m a huge Apple fan.
  • I own a hamster. His name is Captain Morgan and he’s almost three years old.
  • I’ve never broken a bone before.
  • Ever since I stepped on campus day one of orientation, I haven’t been away from Bucknell for more than a month (except for when I was abroad)!

Cameron is a senior at Bucknell University pursuing degrees in English and Theatre. Born and raised in suburban Philadelphia, she is a member of Delta Gamma sorority and recently spent a semester abroad in London (tea and scones galore!). Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) anything with the word "coffee" in it, her two shih tzus, peppermint gum, reality tv, and spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, dancing, staying active, and singing. Her claim to fame? She was a street shoutout on the show "Cash Cab".