Meet: New Campus Correspondent Amanda Relick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Class Year: 2017

Major: English (Creative Writing) and Sociology

Hometown: Malvern, PA

1. What inspired you to first join HC Bucknell?

When I was a freshman, I saw a post on Facebook about Her Campus Bucknell and I jumped at the chance to apply.  I had always wanted to get into writing articles for a campus publication and HC Bucknell seemed like the perfect opportunity. Definitely one of the best decisions I made freshman year!

2. What is your favorite aspect/part of HC Bucknell?

It’s hard to nail down just one aspect that is my favorite, but I think that having the freedom to write about what I choose is one of the best parts of being on HC Bucknell.  Writing is one of my favorite things to do (nerdy I know) but very rarely can I write about topics that I pick myself.  Being on the HC Bucknell team has allowed me to choose topics that interest and inspire me, which has helped me grow as a writer.  I think part of HC Bucknell’s success is that by allowing our team to write articles on what they are passionate about, we are able to turn out some pretty amazing pieces.  I am very excited to be able to continue this tradition of creative freedom as CC next semester.   

3. Do you know your summer plans yet? If so, what will you be doing?

Right now, I have a pretty interesting summer planned. I am going on the Bucknell in the Caribbean trip where I will be taking an English class for three weeks, which I am very excited about. I also have an internship with College Fashionista, so I will be writing articles and documenting street styles all summer. And when I am not on my Caribbean trip, I will be working and living down the shore.  

4.  What is one thing that most people probably don’t know about you?

Hmmm… I am not a woman with too many secrets, but I guess one thing that not too many people know is that I have been riding horses since I was five years old.  In middle school and high school, I competed in horse shows and I guess you could say that I might have been that horse girl (I’m not ashamed).  Despite popular belief, I do not live on a farm, but I do have a horse named Mack who has been my best friend and partner in crime for the past six years.     

5. Let’s play a game: when you grow up, what do you want to be?

Definitely a writer! Even though I might live in a cardboard box and be unemployed forever, I would love to be some kind of writer or journalist and be able to travel around the world.  Ideally, my job would allow me to travel, write, meet interesting people, and share their stories.  Let me know if you have heard of an actual job that will allow me to do any of that!

Quick Q’s:

• Favorite piece ever written for HC? (+ link) Probably my piece called “An Open Letter to a Freshman Girl.” I wanted to write it to give advice that I wish I had gotten my first year at Bucknell.  http://www.hercampus.com/school/bucknell/open-letter-freshman-girl
  • Favorite downtown Lewisburg locale: Wilson Ross
  • “I can’t live without my…” CDs (behind the times, I know)
  • Snapchat or Instagram? Instagram because ~filters~
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com