Meet: Marissa Graham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Marissa GrahamClass of 2016Co-President of Net Impact

Aside from being co-President of Bucknell’s SpeakUp initiative, Marissa Graham is involved with Net Impact, a nonprofit organization for students interested in developing business skills and building “successful impact careers” to support local environmental and social issues.

1. How did you become involved with Net Impact?

I took an intro Managing for Sustainability class first semester of my sophomore year. I had seen flyers around about the club and my professor mentioned there would be a meeting, so I went. Since it had just started, there were leadership positions open, I applied and now I’m co-president!

2. How is Net Impact different from other leadership groups on campus?

What differentiates us is our networking and career development. Our mission is to help Bucknell students find internships and jobs that can make a meaningful impact. So not only is Net Impact interested in social and environmental justice, we also want to provide our peers with the skills necessary for sustainability beyond college.

3. What has been the most rewarding part of leading Net Impact? 

Bucknell’s chapter was just established earlier this year so we haven’t done a ton of awesome stuff yet (but don’t worry they are in the works). The most rewarding part has probably been feeling like I have a purpose and can enact positive changes at Bucknell and in the broader community. I have also got to hang out with some really cool people – shout out to Grace Sweetser.

4. When is Net Impact’s next event for students, and what can we expect?

Glad you asked! Our next event is our networking event in Philadelphia on April 3. We are meeting with the Director of Sustainability at Campbell’s, taking a tour of the Academy of Natural Sciences, as well as B Corporation. Finally we are ending the day with dinner at White Dog Café, which is a unique restaurant using only organic, and locally sourced ingredients. Super excited! Feel free to contact us if you want to join.

5. Do you see yourself building an “impactful career” after Bucknell? 

Absolutely. I am extremely interested in renewable energy, specifically the solar sector. I am hoping to one day help create innovative solutions to transition the way we currently power our country.

Favorites:

1. Spot on campus: Watching the sun set over Rooke Chapel. 2. Meal at Bucknell: Banana Nutella Panini from Bostwick3. Class: Managing for Sustainability 300 – We kayaked down the Susquehanna!4. Thing about Bucknell: Super Saturdays5. Freez Flavor: Vanilla with Heath bar bits and fudge in the hole. 

What are 4 fun facts about yourself?

1. I’m studying abroad in Florence fall 2014! Ciao!2. My role model is my younger sister, Nicole, because of her fierce bravery.3. I know American Sign Language.4. I finished all five seasons of Breaking Bad in three weeks.