Meet: Mahder Etuma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Class: 2016

Major: Neuroscience

1) What do you do on campus?

I am a part of Black Student Union, BASA, and one of the members of the #Bucknell2Ferguson  movement. I also do research with Dr. Grisel in a behavioral neuroscience lab.

2)    You are the president of the Black Student Union, can you talk a little bit about your position and the Union as a whole?

As the president of BSU, my duties include but are not limited to: conducting weekly e-board meetings, bi-weekly congress meetings, strengthen the relationship between faculty & staff and BSU members. BSU, as one of the umbrella organization, strives to inform and educate the campus about the Black diaspora through events and programs.  It seeks to provide support to its members by creating an inclusive, family-like environment. It also provides opportunities for its members to be involved in community service. 

3)    As president, what are your main goals for the next semester?

There are many exciting events coming up next semester. Black history month is filled with educational regarding the black diaspora. The last weekend of February will be Black Arts Festival. The festival will incorporate the fashion show, for the second year in a row. Stomp out will be March 28th at Weis Center. We will also have a comedian coming to Bucknell as a part of the weekend. These are just few of the big events BSU is known to host along with monthly community service projects.   

4)    What do you think is Bucknell’s greatest problem in terms of diversity on campus?

In my perspective, there are two critical issues regarding diversity at Bucknell. First, it seems to be the case that members of the Bucknell community act based on self-interest. In other words, people only react to something if it directly pertains to them. Unfortunately, in this type of action neglects matters that affect everyone else and the common humanity. Secondly, there is a lack of collective understanding of various cultures and types of lifestyles exhibited on Bucknell’s campus. What I mean by this is that everyone is different no matter what. As a result, one person might act a different way than another person. This does not mean one is better, but rather people have different experiences that shaped them to who they are. I often feel that being different on this campus has a negative connotation when it should be a real thing. Unfortunately, in both cases, end up feeling excluded and needing to change who they are in order to fit the typical “Bucknell Student stereotype”.

5) In light of recent events, can you please share with us how you think Bucknellians can make a difference/change for the future, respond appropriately and effectively, etc.?

I am a strong believe in the saying that everyone can make a difference as long as they put their time and dedication into it. I think the biggest change will comes when people take the time to educate themselves about issues happening outside the Bucknell bubble. It is imperative to do so because prior to figuring out ways to make a change, one must be aware of what is happening and how it affects people around him or her.  In doing so, people could see why it is critical and take actions to resolve issues that affect people. More importantly, however, it gives a person the ability to show support to members of the community affected by these matters. For example, over the past couple of weeks, students from various backgrounds came together to stand up against institutionalized racism and police brutality.   I was doing this because I been a victim of police brutality and institutionalized racism myself. Other members of the community, regardless of whether they were victims themselves or not, came together to support and fight for these issues.  And for me, as a member of the community, I greatly appreciate and felt the support from those people. Granted not everyone will have the same opinion on many issues; however, the most important thing is that people standup to fight injustice no matter race, gender, or location.

6) What would you like to see from Bucknell students as they graduate and enter a world that is isn’t truly a Bubble (although we’d like to pretend)?

After Bucknell students graduate, I would like them to keep educating themselves about the issues and ways they could help improve the conditions even if it does not affect them directly. Moreover, I would like to see graduates give back to the community whether it is doing community service or supporting a local initiative. Just because you might be well off after graduation does not mean everyone is. So, giving back is a great way to helping those who are struggling get to a better place. I believe it is our duty as humans to help one another in pursuit of a common humanity and a beloved community.

7)  What do you hope to do after graduation?   

I want to take a year or two to travel around the world in humanitarian aid or to do research in an impoverished country through the Fulbright fellowship. Afterward, I will like to go to medical school in order to become a neurosurgeon.

8) What is the most important non-academic lesson Bucknell has taught you?

The most important non-academic lesson Bucknell has taught me is to be accepting of people’s opinions regardless of my own.

Favorites:

Favorites Spot On Campus: My room

Class at Bucknell: Bio 352: Cell Biology with Professor Heintzelman

Freeze Flavor: Brownies

Three Fun Facts:

1.     Born in Ethiopia

2.     I love to laugh and smile

3.     I love to play soccer and all other sports

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com