This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Treasurer of her sorority, Bucknell Business Leader, Barre instructor and most recently a Boston Marathon finisher…ladies and gentlemen, if you haven’t yet, it’s time to meet this week’s campus celebrity Hannah Beir!

Class: 2017

Major: Markets, Innovation and Design

Minor: Economics

Hometown: Boston, MA

What do you do on campus?

On campus I am the Treasurer of my sorority, a member of Bucknell Business Leaders and a Fitness Instructor!

As you are from Boston, what does the Boston Marathon mean to you? What inspired you to run it?

The Boston Marathon has always been one of the most exciting days in Boston, but I never actually thought I’d be a participant! That all changed two years ago, when one of my closest friends was severely injured in the bombing. She is an inspiration to everyone that meets her, as she found a way to turn that tragedy into hope. She has started a fund, the Gillian Reny Stepping Strong Fund, that funds trauma care and limb rejuvenation research, an area that is fairly underfunded. I ran because I have the strongest friend in the world, and I wanted more than anything to help support her and contribute to this amazing cause.

Can you indulge us–especially for those of us who sometimes consider a walk to and from the Freez a workout–and let us in on your training secret?  What did you do to prepare for the Marathon?  What did you find successful and unsuccessful?

When I started training, I was pretty nervous for myself! I do love to run, and enjoying runs outside on warm days is one of my favorite things, but I had no idea how I was going to make it to 26.2 miles! I think one thing that got me through running was a good playlist with a bunch of different genres… throwing in some country music always got me excited for summer! Also setting goals for yourself is important. I always told myself if I got through a certain amount of miles I could reward myself with a drive to Panera!

What do you enjoy most about being a Barre Method instructor?

I am a barre addict!! It is absolutely my favorite workout. I think what I love most is making new connections on campus. It is so fun meeting new people in my classes and becoming better friends with the regulars!

What are some of your go-to “crowd pleasing” songs to get the class pumped up?

Probably the popular songs but with a new remix. There’s nothing funnier than someone expecting a certain song and then it turns into something else.

How did you celebrate after crossing the finish line? Having one marathon under your belt now, do you think you’ll continue to train for them in the future? 

Celebrating was pretty though considering how cold and sore I was! But a lot of my friends came home for the weekend, so I celebrated by spending time with them. And I never thought I’d say this, but I’d love to do another marathon… hopefully on a sunnier day!

Quick Qs:

Treadmill or trails: I love exploring the trails!

Favorite (academic) class at Bucknell: Management 101 or Sports Econ

Go-to workout-gear brand:  Definitely a Lululemon addict

Favorite Pandora station to run to: Today’s country radio

Favorite post-run treat: Mint Freez!!

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com