With Homecoming Weekend right around the corner, now is the perfect time to catch up with one of the HerCampus Bucknell branch co-founders! Cameron Simcik graduated from Bucknell this past May and has been up to some pretty incredible things since then. Although she is no longer a student on campus, she is a celebrity for the HerCampus family!
- Spot on Campus: On a bench in the quad on a sunny day-- that's the most beautiful spot on campus
- Class taken at Bucknell: Are you really making me choose? I was lucky enough to have amazing English and Theatre classes every year. I loved Modern American Drama with Professor Ponnuswami and the Emerson, Whitman, and Dickenson seminar with Professor Morris.
- Memory from Bucknell: There are so many! Formals were always fun, so was Chrysalis. Chocolate fountain, anyone?
4 Fun Facts:
- I'll go for my default fun fact: I was a street shoutout on the show "Cash Cab" once! I got the answer right-- it was "paisley", but I have no idea what the question was.
- I really, really love cooking.
- I have the cutest puppies-- two Shih Tzus named Boo and Ollie
- Few people know this, but I love tap dancing.
1) What have you been up to since you graduated from Bucknell in May?
I've been trying to adjust to life outside the bubble! Even though I miss Bucknell, it's been really fun so far. I started working at PST radio last fall, so I'm still on-air there and doing a lot of behind-the-scenes production and voice over work. I'm also a contributing writer for a couple Townsquare Media websites, including TheFW.com. I love it all!
2) What is it like in the “real world” outside of the Bucknell Bubble?
The "real world" isn't as scary as it sounds. I knew I lived in a bubble for four years, but Bucknell really does prepare you for life after Lewisburg! Unfortunately, I don't have a Super Walmart near me, so that's been a pretty rough adjustment. Other than that though, I'm really loving all that's come my way so far, and I'm really excited to see what's in store for the future.
3) Since you were one of the co-founders of the Bucknell HerCampus branch, how did you first hear about HerCampus and why did you decide to bring it to Bucknell?
We can't forget Michelle Joline was my co-founder! The summer before my senior year, I just stumbled across the Her Campus national site, and as an English major, I was always looking for opportunities to get writing experience. I contacted one of the founders, Stephanie Kaplan, went through the application process to be a contributing writer, and I think it was that July I started writing for the site. At that time, Her Campus was looking to expand into college branches, so I decided to go for it with Bucknell! I felt like it would bring something to our campus that was missing-- a publication that was a go-to for all Bucknell women. It's kind of like a college survival guide, catered to us.
4) Have you stayed connected to HerCampus even though you graduated?
I've been in contact with some of the national HCers about alumni opportunities, and of course I still follow HC Bucknell! I have to say, I'm extremely proud of the team this year...every single one of you is doing an amazing job!
5) Where do you see yourself in five years?
I love doing so many different things. Right now it's radio and writing, and I hope to continue to do that in some capacity. I'm more of a creative person, so you probably won't find me finding cures for diseases or engineering roads. That would obviously be amazing! But I think for everyone's sake I'll just stick to what I know.
6) What do you miss the most about Bucknell?
So much! I miss being able to see my friends all the time, the amazing professors, getting coffee from Polly in Mini Marts. I also miss fall on campus. The first fall after graduation is a little weird, because you realize the rest of the world isn't as beautiful as good ole' Bucknell! Oh I also miss the wraps in the Bison. I lived off those for four years!