Meet: Ali Napoli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Class: 2015

Major: English: Creative Writing

Minor: Photography, Arts Entrepreneurship

Just to give the folks at home a bit of an intro, what do you do on campus?

I am the head photographer for Be Fashion Magazine, member of Adpi (past MEVP), and I am an Executive Intern for the Office of Communications.

What inspired you to get involved with Be Fashion?

In many ways my sister did. She was involved when I arrived on campus (she’s two years older than myself). I joined for the photography aspect, but I’ve come to really love and appreciate the fashion element. I was always passionate about photography, so I decided to mix the two.

How do you find inspiration for your photography?

Oddly enough most of my projects are inspired by random thoughts I have. I’ll see something or imagine something and it will spark an idea. I do look at the work of some of my favorite photographers to get ideas as well. Once an idea sparks, I’ll start to visualize everything and then start shooting.

How would you describe your own personal style? Please indulge us with your influences, most frequently shopped store, and all in between!

I’ve never been able to pinpoint my style exactly, but I think it has a touch of grunge mixed with some classic pieces. I’m 100% about an all black ensemble, and I love leather. I do love to dress laid back, but I’ll also never give up an opportunity to spice it up. One of my biggest influences is my sister, and I love stores such as Club Monaco and Zara. I love my high-top converse, and I’m big into tights, scarves, and rings.

What’s your best advice for someone who wants to intern in the fashion industry or, even more specifically, in PR/Communications?

Be resourceful. The Fashion/PR/Communications Industry is tough, and the kids who are looking for jobs are incredibly skillful and well prepared. I would advise to be aware of your connections, network efficiently, and always keep good relations with those who could offer you help or advice. Be forward, but polite. It’s an aggressive industry, so you have to be motivated.

What’s been your most memorable Bucknell experience to date & why?

I don’t know if I can pinpoint Bucknell to one experience, but I can definitely say my most memorable experiences have been when I’ve worked with others to produce some kind of outcome or product. Working on the last Be Fashion Magazine was a lot of fun, and the final product was absolutely exceptional. The magazine turned out very professional, and was our best quality yet. With the Executive Internship, we held the first Bucknell tailgate in years, and got over 1/3 of the student population to attend. It was an amazing outpouring of support, and my fellow interns worked so hard for the tailgate to be a success. The administration was thrilled and we proved how motivating we can be as students. I will always remember these things because it was a time when Bucknell students worked together to create something to be proud of. 

How do you best express yourself each day?

Either by the way I dress or whatever work I produce that day. Last semester I was in a creative writing seminar, and had to write nearly fifteen pages every week. I had to constantly be creative, which was challenging because I lost some steam after three months of writing consistently. This semester I am in two photography courses, so I’ll be able to express myself through that. Writing and photography, aside from fashion, are my two outlets. 

Where do you see yourself in ten years?  Will anything like your positions at Be Fashion as Head Photographer and intern at Ralph Lauren be in the picture?

I hope to be involved in the print/magazine industry or possibly a fashion label. To be a creative director or art director is a dream. I don’t see myself becoming solely a photographer, but I would love to be on set everyday as a director. While I was at Ralph Lauren, I worked at their photo studio, and that was pretty much my ideal situation. It was exactly what I imagined a professional photo shoot to be. If I could combine photography and writing, I would be so happy. To be involved with names like Ralph Lauren, Conde Nast, or Hearst is the goal.

Quick Qs:

Snapchat or Instagram?: Instagram (follow her!

Shoes or handbags are a girl’s best friend?: Shoes

City or suburbs? City

Joan Didion or Nora Ephron? Nora Ephron

Can’t leave the house/dorm without…: My phone/sunglasses/watch

Staple piece of your wardrobe: This is hard…possibly my black Steve Madden jacket with leather sleeves or my Club Monaco clothes. I am a huge fan of them.

Caffeine fix comes from coffee or tea?: I actually don’t drink caffeinated beverages, so I imagine my caffeine comes from the dark chocolate I eat! Dark over milk, always!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com