A Love Letter to Justin Timberlake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Dear Justin,

Like elementary school lice checks, the celebrity crush is a childhood right of passage we all must endure.  JT, from the moment I laid eyes on your scrawny self, decked in a white tank and semi-out-of-place silver chain, I knew you were it.  I was too young for you, but that didn’t stop me from bumping to “Bye Bye Bye” out of my yellow, oversized boom box or spending a romantic afternoon with you in poster form.  One listen to “I Want You Back” and I knew… I was in it for the long haul. So, here I am, after all these years, telling you, you were and always will be my first true love.  Here’s why….

I mean just look at that face – You don’t ever need to bring sexy back; it never left. 

Your style was always on point – Frosted tips, ombré shades and an excessive display of denim may not be everyone’s idea of trendy, but you pulled it off better than okay.  Your over-the-top 90’s trends truly taught me about taking risks in fashion, though those risks may not have always consisted of as much shiny material as you sported.

You laughed with me – Real talk: you’re the king of “SNL.”  I don’t think that anyone would have predicted that you, a “boy-bander” would ever join the ranks of great, notable, “SNL” hosts like Steve Martin and John Goodman, but I never underestimated you.  After all, I watched “Model Behavior” on repeat, a sure indicator of your forthcoming cinematography and hilarity.

You cried with me – The break up with my fifth grade boyfriend was rough, but digging up those mix tapes my sister made after her first “heartbreak” made everything easier.  Thanks for crying a river with me and then reminding me that there’s always going to be a Jessica Biel after Britney.You taught me the value of friendship – Those who preferred the Backstreet Boys over ’N  SYNC were just wrong.  You and your dudes were the real deal.  Your solo career convinced me of an entirely new realm of your talent, but I will never forget the days when you and your crew were hanging by strings, affixed by the bond of pleather, crotch grabs, and true brotherhood.

I think the real reason my devotion to you remains after all of these years is the nostalgia you bring.  It’s been an honor to watch you grow from “TRL” to “The 20/20 Experience,” from boy-band leader to solo artist with an impressive falsetto.  I must admit, as of late, my taste in music may tend towards a less poppy, boy-band sound.  But, one bar of “Tearin Up My Heart” and you’ll have me right back to my child-like self – utterly in love. 

Love always,

Staci

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com