Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

A Little F’d Up: Why Feminism Is Not A Dirty Word

Posted Nov 26 2012 - 12:00pm
Event Date & Time: 
Nov 28 2012 - 10:30pm
Location: 
TBA

Do you ever feel like women are under attack? We have been characterized by factions of our society as sexting, slutty, drunken bimbos who have no right to expect treatment equal to that of men. Don’t you think that’s a little f’d up? This kind of thinking spurred Barnard undergraduate Julie Zeilinger to write a book entitled “A Little F’d Up: Why Feminism is Not a Dirty Word.” She is also the founder of thefbomb.org, which covers everything from celebrities talking about their experiences, to poetry, to how you can spread awareness about sexist thinking on your own campus. On November 28th at 5:30pm (location TBA) the Women’s Resource Center is inviting both women and men to a dinner and discussion of the book. In honor of this discussion, we at Her Campus want to take this opportunity to list a few other things we think are a little f’d up on our campus.

1. We have one of the highest sexual assault and rape rates in the country.
  2. Fraternities have separate housing and kitchens. Sororities are crammed in hunt and the only full kitchen in the facility is closed to us. So, sorry boys, but why don’t you make us that sandwich?
  3. Fraternity recruitment includes a list of what food is being served where and when. And sororities? Enjoy your Dixie cup of water.
  4. Women are not allowed to throw parties on campus. Could you imagine a register run by women? Goodbye floors covered in beer, hello great decorations, delicious drinks, and fun music (seriously, it’s time for dubstep to die).
  5. Walk of Shame. Why do only women get this title and men get pats on their shoulder from their friends? If you’re proud say it loud. You walk those strides of pride. A friend of mine once termed it the “victory lap.”
  6. The Terrace Room is 90% women. It’s like going back in time to the 1950’s, when the women and men had separate dining halls on our campus. We may have done away with the white gloves and big hats, but the segregation is still very apparent.
  7. There is no Men’s Resource Center.
  8. Anorexia and Bulimia run rampant on college campuses, specifically ours. Yet, friends encourage each other to obsessively work out, put together the least caloric salad in the Bison, and continue compliments of “You look so skinny,” “I wish I could be as thin as you,” and the worst “I’m totally going anorexic.”
  9. Is there a reason that almost all relationships on this campus start with a hook up and not a date?
  10. There are markedly less women majoring in engineering and the sciences. Yet statistically in these areas in terms of intelligence, women and men are the same.

…Now that’s a little f’d up!