A Letter to Our Mothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As collegiettes, we are #blessed to have a large and eclectic support system. Every girl has her BFF from school, her BFF from home, her BFF from summer camp, her BFF from her pre-college summer program, and her mother.

Often, when it seems as though we are about to collapse and fall through the cracks, we’ll call our mothers to complain about our most current crisis or just to seek advice. Mothers serve as the best support system. They’re trustworthy – Mom, I know you told Dad when I got my period! – understanding, and really honest. Sometimes, they’re too honest, like when they remind us about the five pounds we put on last semester. Sorry, Mom, a diet that consists of beer and pizza seemed pretty steady! In other words, our moms are the best because they understand us; they’ve lived through similar experiences (as scary as that may seem!): BFF drama, pregnancy scares, cheating boyfriends, and failing a college course. 

Our moms act like they “get it,” and sometimes they do. But when they don’t, they try really hard to, as they have joined every social networking site, and are very active members (P.S. Mom, statuses are so two-thousand and late), while agreeing with us that Beyoncé could be an awesome president. But sometimes, our mothers don’t always understand us. Here are some examples:

Mother: “Daughter, why are you always on your phone? Who are you always texting?”Daughter: “OMG. Mom, please! I’m always on my phone because I literally exited the womb with an iPhone in my hand (actually it was probably a Motorola Razor). Our generation is addicted to ‘staying connected’ – I mean we need to know what color Kylie Jenner’s hair is. Three hours ago it was blue, who knows what color it is now?!” 

Mother: “Are you going to Friday night services at Hillel?”Daughter: “Mother, didn’t you say you were kicking me out of the house once I graduate? How do you expect me to get a job if I don’t ace all of my exams, run four clubs, go to the gym,  and attend services downhill?!”

Mother: “Why don’t you have a boyfriend? I think you really need one.”Daughter: “Lol. Mom. I’m a strong independent woman who don’t need no man. Just kidding- sometimes I want one but like I can’t seem to find the man of my dreams when I’m sweating and covered in goop on a Friday night. Sorry!!!!! Hey, you told me I should go out tonight!”

In other words, our mothers rock. Seriously. You ladies are the best and you are all “the cool moms,” don’t worry. Thank you for birthing us. 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com