A Lazy Girl’s Guide for Looking Put-together for Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the beginning of the year, Bucknell girls are all about dressing nicely for class. A new semester calls for a fresh start, and what better way to show that you’re gonna kill it this year than with a great outfit? If you feel and look put-together, then you must be put together, right?

Granted, this whole “looking put-together for class” thing will only last so long. Only in September will you see girls walking around in sundresses and J. Crew shorts. Now that we’re approaching October, naturally our laziness will start to take over and we will inevitably start to reach for the first thing we see in our drawers: running shorts and a comfy t-shirt, leggings and a giant sweatshirt, or let’s be honest…whatever we slept in last night.

As the weeks go on, and we start going out more often and staying out later, we become less and less likely to put effort into our outfits for class. So, I have created a list of the signature, “no-brainer” items every girl needs to easily put together a good outfit that requires little to no effort at all. That way, when you’re hungover on a Thursday morning or feel like waiting until the last possible minute to roll out of bed, you’ll have a few pieces that you know automatically pair well with anything in your closet.

1.KNEE HIGH BOOTSThese are an autumnal staple. These are perfect for the transitional weather and pair well with almost anything in your closet. Tuck your jeans or leggings into them or pair them with a casual sundress and you’re good to go.

2. MILITARY or JEAN JACKETThrow it on over practically anything. If it’s extra brisk in the morning, layer it over a comfy sweater. If you just want a light jacket, wear it over a short sleeve top or sundress. This is the easiest way to stay warm, comfortable and fashionable in the fall!

3. OVERSIZED SWEATERA HerCampus Bucknell favorite. The oversized sweater epitomizes how to be comfy and cute simultaneously. Pairs easily with jeans, leggings, and dresses.

4. SHIFT DRESSThese dresses are super comfortable but they make it look like you put a lot of thought and effort into your outfit that morning. These are a perfect weather-transitioning outfit because you can easily wear them with a jean jacket or cardigan on cooler days, or opt to wear it without a jacket on the warmer days.

5. PLAIN WHITE TEEOr any color for that matter! Having a basic, solid-colored T-shirt (you’ll probably want both a long and short sleeve one) makes putting together an outfit a no-brainer. This is the most essential item for layering. Wear it under your jacket or cardigan, tuck it into a high-waisted skirt, or just pair it with jeans and boots!

6. BUTTON-DOWNThese are great for layering because you can wear them over a dress as a light jacket, or button it up and tuck it into your pants or a skirt.

With these signature items in your closet, it will be easy to fool your classmates into thinking you are just as put-together as your outfit claims you are.

My name is Elizabeth Worthington and I am a sophomore at Bucknell University! I am a Psychology major and an English minor. I'm from the suburbs outside Philadelphia, PA.