matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Internet takes Conspiracy Theories to the Next Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In early March of 2014, Malaysian airlines flight 370 disappeared while flying to Beijing. For years, family members and search & rescue agencies have attempted to locate the missing pieces of information from that flight. With no leads or official explanations as to the plane’s disappearance, many conspiracy theories surround this story. Recently a new theory has developed, via eerie voicemail messages that have appeared in the voicemail mailboxes of a multitude of smart phones.

While it is easy to throw away the idea of conspiracies such as this one, it is still interesting to investigate how such a story can truly take over the internet – just as this one involving the military-coded voicemail messages and its conceived linkage to Malaysian airlines flight 370 has in the past few weeks.

Okay so let’s get down to the details- how exactly are random, unknown voicemail messages connected to the disappearance of the Malaysian flight all these years ago?

After one Twitter user posted an incomprehensible voicemail message from a random phone number, the Internet began to blow up- as many others reported that they received the same creepy voicemail through their smartphones too. People from around the world tuned it to decipher the “alien-like” message and understand what exactly the meaning was behind this coded voicemail. Ultimately, the Internet stirred and the deciphered message involving phrases like “SOS” and “alien abduction” linked to the date of the Malaysian airlines crash surfaced. People on the web had a heyday, and began linking the voicemails to the idea that the black box on flight 370 is attempting to communicate through the technology of our society today.

While this entire story may seem insane, it continued to make headlines and circulate around the World Wide Web for weeks. Regardless of the improbable nature of such a connection between that of flight 370 and these voicemail messages, it is incredible to see the power of social media and the Internet in stirring the pot and creating such conspiracy theories.  Who’s to say that such a hoax is false? That’s up to the readers and surfers of the Internet to decide!