If We Lived In Our Pinterest Boards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Don’t you love those Saturday mornings when you wake up in your beachside bungalow in Australia, drink a mason jar full of blended exotic fruits and vegetables, go cliff diving with your three tannest friends in matching white bikinis, and then bake cookies with your monograms etched ever so carefully in icing?

Hey, a girl can dream.

We all have ourselves, and then we have our Pinterest selves. While I would like to say they are basically the same person, young Leonardo DiCaprio still has not proposed to me under the Eiffel Tower and whisked me off to my baby-pink themed J. Crew wedding. Maybe you’ve been more successful, I don’t know. But what if we actually lived our Pinterest lives?

Pinterest you gets out of bed at 6:30 AM (to a beautiful sunrise, obviously) and prepares a gorgeous, fresh breakfast. Pinterest you changes into a head-to-toe Lululemon running outfit, complete with dazzlingly bright Nike Free sneakers. You head out on a 10-mile run and come back feeling refreshed and ready for the day.

Real you doesn’t do that. At all. You went to the gym in your dream… which is close enough. Snooze until the absolute last minute, chica!

Pinterest you finished homework early enough to get some baking done. You definitely aren’t even hungry for any of the sweets, but you know your amazing friends and wonderful (very real) boyfriend would appreciate the gesture. Dressed in your most expensive preppy-but-still-edgy outfit, and not worrying about your trendy pastel gel manicure, you head to your spotless kitchen to whip something up.

Actual you begrudgingly goes to class. You blankly stare at the front of the room and wonder how 90 minutes of class is so much longer than 90 minutes of sleep. Ugh. And it’s only Monday.

Pinterest you finishes the bison-shaped sugary creations just in time for your romantic date with your blonde, six-foot-six, model of a boyfriend. Somehow you never have class so this time commitment is not a problem. You go to your room and realize he set out your favorite pair of Loubs and little black dress to wear. He cooked you dinner, how adorable. Can anyone say “Perfect Date Night” board? No wonder your mom loves him!

Actual you is on coffee cup number five just to stay alive. You head to the bison for some chicken tenders for dinner. Okay, maybe two orders. Hey, on the plus side, no one recognizes you because of your apparent lack of sleep. Thanks midterms.

Pinterest you returns home from your date beaming. You warm up a bubble bath filled with fresh rose petals and light an all-natural candle that you made with your friends over the weekend. Once again, no one is completely sure how you have all these resources on a college campus, but it works out, because it’s Pinterest, ok? You turn up your “spring” playlist and relax with a wine glass filled with raspberry-infused water.

Real you is exhausted from the day. Did you even get anything done? Probably not. Oh, and your roommate is coughing like no other. Seriously?? You take some NyQuil and hope tomorrow will be better.

Well, there you have it. Apparently real life and Pinterest life aren’t exactly the same. But kind of close, right? No? Whatever, keep pinning and maybe reality will follow. Plus, think about how easy planning your wedding and shopping for vacation homes will be when the time comes. Your procrastination from homework now is actually just being absurdly proactive for your future Pinterest-perfect life. We get it! 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com