I Woke Up Like This (Sort Of)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Itching for the morning where you can confidently strut down the quad on the way to your 8 a.m., perfectly put together in your chic outfit, wind blowing in your hair as you proudly say, “Yes, I did indeed wake up like this?” Potentially even throwing in a casual hair flip and wave to the cutie you pass on a daily basis? 

Reality check Bey; Nobody can possibly wake up looking like this.

In fact, the average stressed collegiate often wakes up feeling more like this.

Studies show that looking good results in feeling good, which ultimately leads to reaching the most success in your lifetime. Typically, individuals associate sweats and sweatshirts with relaxing time in bed or on the couch. Thus, wearing sweats to class can trick your brain into relaxation-mode, resulting in a lack of concentration and motivation. I personally know that wearing jeans helps me feel more productive during class or in the library when I am rushing to finish that paper or reading. Even aside from looks, feeling well-prepared for the long day ahead truly assists in making your day that much better, giving you the confidence and preparation needed to make you feel like you have your complicated life put together.

Yet, morning preparation means taking more time out of your coveted sleep routine. Here, collegiettes are really put to the test; at what price of looking put-together are you possibly willing to pay? The answer may not come to you easily. Thankfully, I have created a list of simple hacks into your morning routine that can help you look the best while still benefiting from all of your beauty sleep. Game on, little Beyoncé’s.

1. Pick out your outfit the night before.

This one is very obvious, but more often than not overlooked. Right before you go to bed, look up the weather for the next day. Head into your closet and lay out an outfit for the day. Not only will this save you time in the morning; it will reduce stress and give you a little more time to add some creativity to your ensemble.

2. If you’re too lazy to pick out your outfit the night before or simply forget:

Have a mental list of great go-to outfits. You can even have a section of your closet dedicated to those sweaters or simple shirts that will be easy to throw on in the morning on any given day.

3. Hair: The messy bun is cool.

Wearing a nice outfit can distract others from other parts of your appearance that may be subpar. This obviously means that a bun or messy hairdo is totally acceptable. I personally enjoy the messy hair look, which I often enhance with cute, thick headbands. My favorite places to shop for those headbands are Free People and Urban Outfitters.

4. Pack your bag at night.

To me, there is absolutely nothing worse than forgetting a notebook, textbook, or homework assignment in your dorm room. That moment when you open your folder and realize it’s still on your desk is agonizing panic, usually followed by a short period of self-loathing for being so careless. Packing your back at night saves you those few minutes of scrambling in the morning and helps you better organize your life (or at least attempt to).

5. Breakfast to go.

Simple and easy, grab a granola bar, shake, or even a yogurt. Breakfast wakes you up and – as many already know – is the most important meal of the day.

Confidence is key, and always be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be. We all have those days when we hit the snooze button repeatedly until we realize that class starts in five minutes, and that’s okay. Even if you are wearing work out shoes along with your camo hat from Walmart and your make up from the night before is still scattered messily across your face, strut with style. Always remember, in the words of our beloved leader Bey, “We flawless, ladies tell ’em I woke up like this.”

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com