How You Can Actually Enjoy Your Workouts in Lewisburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s easy to fall in to the trap of going to dragging yourself to the gym, just to feel good about working out, while never enjoying your workout. Exercising, regardless of the workout, releases endorphins that increase levels of happiness, lowers stress levels and anxiety, and it reduces the chance of insomnia. In all, exercising leads to a happier lifestyle.

But if you want to maximize the level of happiness, don’t just rely on the science of a workout; do a workout you’ll actually enjoy. You shouldn’t work out solely to fulfill a New Year’s Resolution, but rather because it’s an activity that you really want to do. And shaking up how and where you work out can transform exercising from a dreaded necessity to an eagerly awaited event. Whether it’s running, playing sports, or just getting outdoors, there are plenty of ways to exercise outside of going to the gym around Lewisburg.

Running outside allows an athlete to run without the limitations of a treadmill walkway or the excessive heat of a recreation center. In Lewisburg, there are plenty of places to run outside, whether it be Market Street or the Rail Trail. Lesser known is a route along River Road. Following the rail tracks, runners can exercise next to the river, watching the sun rise over the mountains. A little ways down River Road is a staircase that leads down to the waterfront, a spot where athletes can stop and enjoy the view while feeling the endorphins kick in.

However, there are plenty of other activities to try besides running. If it’s late at night, grab some friends and play a late night game of sand volleyball, or head to the soccer fields and kick start a game of some type. Go to the climbing wall in the Recreation center and empower yourself by reaching new athletic heights.

While there are many exercise options around campus, there are plenty of options off campus as well. Only an hour from Bucknell, the Pine Creek Gorge, commonly coined the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, offers plenty of beautiful hikes, ranging from leisurely to advanced. Closer to Lewisburg are the Geisinger trails, created specifically by the Geisinger Medical Group to create access to outdoor activities that fend off anxiety and depression. Paddling the Susquehanna River offers beautiful sightseeing, and it’s made easier with gear offered on campus for minimal pricing.

Working out should be just as enjoyable as it is rewarding. Even if going to the gym is simply easier, changing your workouts every now and then to an activity a little different is important. Rather than relying on a chemical release to make a boring workout seem worth it, you can actually have fun while working out simply by varying your routine.

My name is Kathleen McGivern and I am student at Bucknell University. I love studying history and going on adventures in the outdoors.