How Scent Affects Attraction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You might be surprised to learn that you are constantly producing and secreting aromas and airborne chemicals that send signals about you to other people.  Research suggests the idea that body odor and pheromones play a large role in sexual attraction.

Most people can infer that body odor is defined as the smell of the human body; it is something that we notice on ourselves and others easily and consciously.  Pheromones, on the other hand, seem to go under discussed.  Pheromones are the chemical triggers of reproductive compatibility for mammals.  They use our sense of smell to look for fertility, and tell our bodies whether or not we will have healthy offspring if we were to “mate” with someone.  Through pheromones, we subconsciously can decide whether or not we are physically compatible with someone else.

We tend to be attracted to others with different genetic makeup, because genetic differences increase the likelihood of having healthy offspring.  This is because combining genes leads to stronger immune systems for children and grandchildren.  It also explains why we aren’t attracted to our siblings, since we have the same genes that they do!

While it is not confirmed, research suspects that although both males and females have senses of smell to detect sexual compatibility, they smell differently than each other.  Males, in order to pass on their genes, smell for fertility, while females smell for genetic quality.

Unfortunately, even though as humans we can consciously appreciate (and turn away in disgust from) all sorts of smells, we are not able to consciously perceive pheromones.  They change our behavior in an entirely unconscious and involuntary way.  It is one of the main reasons why we find ourselves attracted to some people, and not others.

However, not all smells are subconscious! It is very normal to have a personal body scent that is different from others, because we are all influenced by different genetics, lifestyles, nutrition, medications, and diseases.  Although you might be subconsciously attracted to someone else’s pheromones, this doesn’t mean you won’t still be turned off by bad B.O.!  But it also means that others might be attracted to your natural smell.  So embrace it.  Stay hygienic, and eat citrus fruits, yogurt, water with lemon, and jasmine tea to keep your smells nice and sweet! ;-)

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.