How to Make the Most of Your Summer: Tips from the CDC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Summer vacation is approaching us, which means a long four months before we see another exam, paper, or professor. But while summer is full of poolside tanning, long walks on the beach, and attempting to achieve that summer bod, it’s also a productive time to advance your externship, internship, or career. We sat down with Emily Dietrich from the Bucknell Career Development Center to talk about the best ways to jumpstart your resume this summer:

1. How can students stay connected to the CDC this summer? What sorts of programs/resources are there for students who will be starting a summer internship/externship? The Career Development Center is open throughout the summer and students should not hesitate to contact the office with questions that may arise with the start of their internships or externships.  Career Counseling appointments are available Tuesdays – Thursdays, by phone, Skype or in-person.  Students should call the CDC at 570-577-1238 or email cdc@bucknell.edu to schedule an appointment. Counselors will also be available to answer quick questions as they arise. Students should stay connected with the CDC through our various social media accounts:https://twitter.com/BucknellCareerhttps://www.facebook.com/bucknellcareerhttps://www.instagram.com/bucknellcareer/

and our Career Insider blog: http://careerinsider.blogs.bucknell.edu/

Undergraduate students will continue to have access to the Bridge, which contains most of the CDC handouts and samples, as well as the resources like the Vault on the My Career Center window on MyBucknell.

2. Are there any events happening this summer through the CDC?We’re hosting fieldtrips and networking events this summer for students to come together to learn from and network with alumni and fellow students who are working or interning in the Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York City.  Be sure to watch your email and the Bridge for additional events later in the summer.

Philadelphia 76ers Field Trip – May 18

This field trip is an excellent chance to learn how to break in from HR, get tips from those within the industry, and build your network!  Sign up on the Bridge by May 16.

DC Program: Wednesday, June 15

Join the DC Club of Washington, DC, and Bucknell’s Career Development Center for a career networking night with alumni ad parents for an alumni panel discussion and networking. Sign up on the Bridge. 

NYC Program: July 12

Will you be in the NYC area over the summer? If so, join the CDC for some networking with Bucknell alumni. We don’t have all the details yet but we have the important ones: date, time, location, and food. Sign up on the Bridge to join us at the Penthouse 45 on July 12th.  Get more info on this event and sign up on the Bridge.

​3.  ​What are some helpful tips students should do before they start their summer internships/externships?​

Before your internship or externship starts this summer, don’t forget to thank those who assisted you along the way.  A hand written thank you note will go a long way in showing your appreciation.  Remember to thank alumni, recruiters, professors, etc.  Provide a quick update to your networking contacts to let them know your plans for the summer and be sure to let the Career Development Center know of your summer plans

Continue to research the company and industry. Students should get into a routine of reading a daily newspaper and an industry publication.

Review your internship/employment contracts and confirm your start time and dress code. Prepare at least a week in advance by determining your office appropriate wardrobe, transportation, the best route to take each morning and afternoon, as well as an alternate route. 

Set your alarm, every day. 

4. ​What do you recommend to students who don’t have any plans this summer but are still interested in building their resumes?

If you weren’t able to secure an internship you should gain or improve a skill over the next three months.  A part-time job can help pay the bills but can also be an opportunity to meet new people and develop new skills.  Students can volunteer as well as take a class at a local college/university or on-line. Bucknell students have access to Lynda.com why not learn Excel, InDesign or Illustrator this summer.

The summer is a great opportunity to build your professional network through attending networking events and field trips, and using the Bucknell Alumni App and LinkedIn.  These tools can be used to identify alumni in your preferred industry and connect to for informational interviews.

5. Do you have any advice for first years who are looking to intern/extern next summer?

First year students should begin to learn about industries and their hiring practices.  Research companies and industry information to gain a better sense of what to expect in the years to come. 

Not sure what you want to do or what to major in…explore!  Attend a field trip or networking event and begin to build your professional network. If you aren’t able to make it to a CDC event this summer, start with your own network. Parents, relatives, friends’ parents, and high school alumni can be great resources as you practice your informational interviewing skills and learn more about various industries. 

6. What tips do you have for recent graduates who are looking for full-time positions this summer?​

​Graduating seniors should sign up on BucknellCareerConnect.com though Bucknell’s Alumni Career Services to access entry-level job opportunities shared by alumni and employers.​  Seniors can still use the Bridge and may want to consider adding their resume to the Class of 2016 resume book.  However, know that your account will only be active until June 30 so be sure to save any documents you need prior to this date.  

Seniors who are still looking for full-time employment know you are not alone. Whether you’ve been seeking for weeks, or just getting started know that the Class of 2016 will continue to have access to the Career Development Center and can make an appointment with a career counselor by contacting the CDC. Network, reconnect with professionals you’ve met over the years as well as develop new connections at networking events or by utilizing the Bucknell Alumni App. Most Bucknellians are responsive to inquiries from students and want to be a resource.