HC Bucknell Senior Goodbye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As graduation looms, the seniors at HC would like to share some things we’ve learned during our four years at Bucknell in the hopes it will assist you throughout the rest of your Bucknell journey. On behalf of all of us, it has been a pleasure writing articles for you each week and having such loyal and amazing readers throughout our time at HC Bucknell. So without further ado…our final article, and final advice to you, the amazing collegiettes of Bucknell University.

What we’ve learned in our four years here:

…that the library is more often than not social rather than serious

…writing a paper while listening to music doesn’t really work well, but we’ll do it anyway

… mastering the art of doing an assignment last minute is essential to succeeding here (note: the first floor of the library is not the place to get this done)

…it’s okay if most of your dining dollars are spent at the Library Café

…having a library locker doesn’t make you nerdy or uncool. In fact, many people probably envy you

…driving to the library is completely acceptable as long as the weather is below 50 degrees

…convincing your professor to have class outside is always a good idea

…It’s not really socially acceptable to wear sweatpants or PJ’s to class regularly…

…Going to the Bison at 6:30 is a bad decision – the lines are way too long, and you’re never going to find a table

…Going to the gym at 4 o’clock is also a terrible idea. The gym is just as social as the library, and you’re never going to find an open treadmill.

…If you don’t own neon, a pinnie, a funky hat, or Bucknell glasses by the end of your four years here, you’re doing it wrong

…Getting a House Party mug means you’ve made it — this is the ultimate status symbol

…you might spend more than $100 on Domino’s… in a year

…Sometimes drinking a bottle of red wine (or two or three) and pigging out on cookie dough with your friends in your room is better than any party could ever be

…You don’t have to go out at night even if your friends do.  Don’t let people pressure you into going out by using the excuse “but you’re only in college once.”  Sometimes you just need a night in with Netflix and Ben and Jerry’s.  There is nothing wrong with that!

…Having a fracket and drunk shoes are essential to the Bucknell experience

…it’s totally fine to wear a sundress at the first sign of Spring even if it’s only 50 degrees

…if you don’t feel like saying “hi” to people, don’t leave your dorm room

…on your Bucknell Bucket List should be the “Caf Challenge” and trying every Freez flavor

…House Party is supposedly a marathon and not a sprint but… just think about it. Drinking day and night all weekend? Sounds a lot like sprinting to us.

…Your favorite song can quickly become your least favorite as a result of the Bucknell social scene (Thrift Shop), but we will never forget or dislike our freshman year anthems: “Party in the U.S.A.” (fall semester) or “Stereo Love” (spring)

…registers are for freshmen and for freshmen ONLY

…We still get 6th and 7th streets confused…even though one of us lives on 7th street

…one could get Times Square and the corner of Market Street and 7th Street confused on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night simply because of the noise level triggered by a good dose of drunken debauchery

…singing Baby Got Back at karaoke night is the best  (read: least slutty) way to make friends with all the Bros.

…to say ‘No’. Sometimes you can’t please everyone. As long you’re happy with your decision, forget what others think.

…establishing a strong mentor-mentee relationship with a professor outside the classroom setting can really change your overall Bucknell experience

…We, nor anyone on this campus for that matter, are fans of Lisa Lapp.  It’s not the United States Department of Homeland Security or TSA, lady.  It’s parking and minor driving violations at Bucknell University, rural Pennsylvania.  Perspective is an important thing to remember, LL.

…We secretly laugh that our mascot is a Bison…so vicious

…Bucknell sunsets aren’t hyped up at all…they really are that damn beautiful

…Yes, some parts of the liberal arts education, like writing a letter to yourself for a final or connecting to nature through dance, are complete and utter bullshit. But it doesn’t mean you can’t find value in them.

…Bucknell isn’t entirely full of prepsters…and honestly, some of those prepsters are pretty cool

…There is a spring uniform. Sundresses. Aviators. Strappy Sandals. (and a bottle of Andre in your hand on the weekend)

…Being 21 rocks because it opens your world up to LIT’s, Trivia nights, and Karaoke nights

…This school really likes flashmobs

…Finding a core group of friends that will be just as happy to stay in for a movie night, go out and rage, take you to Dunkin’ the next day, and head up to the lib is essential to having the best Bucknell experience possible

…Judy Mickanis is a woman of mystery…and I project a lot of negative feelings onto her. Sorry, Judy.

…You will, by the end of your four years here be sick of Greek Life, tired of classes, and ready to move on

…You will, by the end of your four years here, become sentimental and tear up and the oddest things

…You will, by the end of your four years here, bleed blue and orange and shout ‘Ray Bucknell at random passerby

…You will, by the end of your four years here, feel prepared to go out in this world, but so damn sad to leave this place we all call home.

…You will, by the end of your four years here, graduate. But you will never forget what you learned here or how special and amazing Bucknell will always be.

HCXO,

The Her Campus Seniors

(Sarah Dubow, Hillary Mann, Betsy Rosen, Alex Bird, Allison Gibson, and Whitney Jerome)

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!