From Harry Potter Celeb to Feminist Sensation: Emma Watson’s Inspiring UN Speech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

We all know her as Hermione Granger, but Emma Watson has recently proven herself as much more than the studious girl waving her wand at Hogwarts. Her new life as a post-college grad led her to become a Women Goodwill Ambassador at the United Nations (casual). And what will she do as an ambassador? Well, for starters, she launched the HeForShe campaign, aimed at rallying one billion men and boys to advocate for gender equality. Her passion for putting an end to the gender inequalities females face worldwide stems from her role as a, drumroll pleasefeminist.

In her buzz-worthy speech at the U.N., Watson discussed how feminism and being a “feminist” have somehow become misunderstood. She talked about how these terms carry a widespread negative connotation, and questioned why and how it happened:

“I decided I was a feminist and this seemed uncomplicated to me. But my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word. Apparently I am among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, too aggressive, isolating, anti-men and, unattractive.”

I’m sure many of you can relate. From my experience, there’s a stigma against feminists as anti-this, anti-that. But essentially, feminism is a movement. It’s an empowerment for change; a call to action; a strong female force for equivalency; an avenue for self-advocacy. And men shouldn’t be afraid to get on board.

Watson then asked the important questions: “If not me, who? If not now, when?” She challenged all listeners to start caring, stop waiting, and do something about the issue of gender inequality.

“And having seen what I’ve seen—and given the chance—I feel it is my duty to say something. English statesman Edmund Burke said: ‘All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men and women to do nothing.’”

Forget what you think you know about feminism. Watch Watson’s speech, and you’ll think twice about the word, the movement, and the image of a “feminist.” She’ll encourage you to start thinking about treating others with respect and equality: that’s the basis of HeForShe, and that’s what she’s asking us to do. It won’t take magic, or winning a Quidditch match, to make positive change. We simply need to put in some effort to show others equal respect. And if we start doing that each day, our society will be better.

SPEECH LINK: http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/09/emma-watson-un-speech-feminism

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com