The Great Debate: Style vs. Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Picture this. You’re briskly walking through the mall when you’re about to pass by your favorite store. As you approach closer, you see the most amazing outfit. And it’s not just any outfit. We’re talking front store window, on the mannequin, perfect in every single way. You stop in your tracks, wide-eyed and awe-struck, and your body instinctively tells you to go into that store, break out your wallet and buy every single item on that mannequin.

Kudos for copying an exact display in a store window! Sure, you’ll look great in that outfit, but what makes it unique? Because you’re unique, aren’t you? We all are unique. And our clothes should reflect that. It’s time to re-hash the age-old argument: “what is style” versus “what is fashion,” because while the two are related, they are distinctly different concepts.

Fashion is a price tag, while style is a state of mind. You can purchase fashion; there’s no doubt about that. But how you wear the clothes, accessories and shoes that you own is priceless. There’s a certain finesse associated with having true style. Style is being able to mix pieces from designer brands, flea markets, thrift shops and go-to stores. It’s not playing ‘copy cat’ from store windows, catalogues or other people you see on campus.

Style is a creative process when fashion already did the work for you. Just because you own fashionable, trendy or ‘current’ clothes doesn’t mean you’re automatically stylish. Style means owning these pieces and pairing them with unexpected items: for example, a J. Crew sweater with a scarf from a small boutique; an Urban Outfitters top with your mom’s cardigan; your dad’s worn-in denim shirt with a GAP striped tee.

Style means making it yours, while fashion means ‘providing the rules.’ On the one hand, fashion gives us a list of current trends that we all should try each season. On the other, fashion tells us what tried-and-true pieces every woman should own. The difference between these sets of guidelines and style is that style is about finding the delicate balance between trends, staples, and your own personality. You can purchase as many pieces of clothing as you want, but if they don’t reflect who you are, then it’s a big waste of your money, time and effort. Your style should reflect parts of you: your interests, your traits and your ‘likes’ to give people the best picture of the girl you know you are.

Style doesn’t mean fitting into a fashion ‘category’: prep, hipster, trendsetter, boho…the list goes on. It means taking influences from all types of fashion and making it work for you. You don’t think you look good in maxi skirts? Don’t buy one. Does the thought of wearing leather leggings scare you? Don’t wear ’em. Hate the feeling of a collared shirt? Don’t wear one. If certain types of fashion statements don’t make you feel good, and something just doesn’t feel right when you wear them, don’t. Style doesn’t mean being a slave to trends; it means staying current and on point with trends, but mixing influences from different fashion niches that inspire you.

When you boil it down, your style is your personal statement. Keep that in mind. Don’t let the daunting sphere of fashion influence your purchases. Buy what you wanna buy, wear what you wanna wear and most importantly, be who you are…not what somebody else, or what ‘fashion,’ says you should be.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com