This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Ah, the 20s, the ultimate right of passage into young adulthood. It is a time where we are gaining more responsibility and accountability for ourselves. But does this mean we are accountable for our own orgasms, too? As we enter our 20s, many collegiettes feel we have earned the right to own a vibrator. Yes, a vibrator, the sex toy that helps millions of women achieve “the big O.” Vibrators are not as taboo as they once were. In 1998, Sex and the City introduced “The Rabbit” as the most magnificent sex toy on the market. It cost $92, but Miranda reassured her girlfriends it was worth every penny. Now vibrators come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes, and range from inexpensive to on the pricier side. Owning a vibrator is a personal choice, but they have become popular birthday presents for those in the mid-20s. One collegiette admits her sister sent her one in a birthday package after she had complained about having a “dry spell.”

So vibrators are great, they help women have control over their orgasms. More orgasms equal happier young women, right? But what happens if you become a little too attached? An orgasm in max three minutes every time is unheard of without the use of a vibrator. It’s quick, pleasurable, and convenient, so it is no wonder many young women use them. But becoming reliant on your battery-operated friend does have its drawbacks. After being exposed to “The Rabbit,” Charlotte was cancelling plans with her friends to stay in and have a “relaxing night.” Miranda and Carrie had to go to her apartment and force Charlotte to “break up” with her new obsession because she was becoming so addicted. Why go out looking for a guy to be intimate with when you have a trusty vibrator to do the job? Well, that’s just it; a vibrator isn’t intimacy.  A vibrator is a quick fix and relying on it causes regular sex to seem well, boring. Using a vibrator desensitizes women. Guys don’t compare to those quick and intense vibrations. They can’t compete. No matter what they do, it makes it difficult for women to achieve orgasms.

So, is it time to break up with your vibrator? Is your vibrator ruining your sex life? Not so fast. Vibrators can be a wonderful thing, but so is chocolate, and too much of a good thing isn’t always good. Taking a break might be just what you need. Your body becomes resistant to subtle caresses and touches, which takes some of the fun out of foreplay and sex. When this happens, it’s almost embarrassing for both you and your partner because no matter what they do, you can’t orgasm. So it may be time to put your mechanical pal in the drawer for a later time. In the meantime, try going old school. Explore your body on your own or with your partner, take it slow. Once you find new sources of non-battery-operated pleasure, you will be more sensitized and surely remember how great being intimate with another human being is.

Remember that intimacy is not only the proximity of a person; it’s truly knowing that person. Not only knowing what they like in the bedroom, but also what they are like, what their goals and dreams are. Being intimate means sharing your thoughts and feelings. While I am completely in favor of the good that vibrators bring to young women everywhere, nothing beats being intimate, especially with someone you care about.

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-RozcHd08k

http://www.refinery29.com/vibrator-tips#page-1