Good Vibes: The Ultimate Vibrator Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Remember that part of Sex Ed when you were taught how and where to buy your first vibrator? Oh wait, you probably don’t…because the sexual education curriculum in the United States doesn’t include a snippet about female pleasure, let alone masturbation. Not to mention, only 24 states and the District of Columbia require that Sex Ed be taught in public schools.

Luckily, the explosion of PC culture over the past several years has done wonders for the reputation of female masturbation. Finally, more than a few media outlets are portraying female masturbation as it deserves to be portrayed: not as a perverted atrocity, but as an enjoyable activity that is often crucial to leading a healthy sex life. Think about Hailee Steinfeld’s “Love Yourself”: it’s finally acceptable for a young female to sing about the sexy kind of self-love. Moreover, there are now several professional websites and apps dedicated entirely to female pleasure – some even include videos and simulations.

Recent studies show that 92% of women admit they have masturbated at least once and 1 in every 2 women owns a vibrator. Still, conversations among women about D.I.Y. sex and its associated toys are widely considered taboo. You’re probably thinking, at least we have Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda to teach us what no else will even talk about. You’re not wrong, but living in post-Sex and the City America is not nearly as easy as it should be.

As it turns out, the market for vibrators is huge, and can be a bit difficult to navigate. (Case in point: you can actually buy a vibrator that looks like Justin Bieber, or one that is shaped like an ear of corn.) If you’re considering treating yourself, but you’re not quite sure how to go about doing so, here are some helpful tips:

1. Find a reliable shop or website that targets customers like you.  There are more feminist sex shops out there than you might think. Find a company that has your best interest at heart, and start your search there.

2. Don’t go big or go home. Remember: size is not proportional to quality or strength. You may only want a toy the size of a tube of lipstick! Additionally, if you are planning on hiding your vibrator, make sure the one you choose can be discreetly stored away when not in use.

3. Consider volume level. If you’re at all paranoid about someone hearing you, check out how loud a vibrator is before you buy it. Sometimes, you can do so just by reading the packaging or an online review.

4. Your body is a temple. Not all vibrators are made out of materials that will agree with you. Keep in mind that women are particularly sensitive down there, and try to look into what your vibe is made of before you commit to buying it.

5. Be proud! Owning a vibrator is empowering, not embarrassing. Just think: we’ve come a long way since the first vibrator in history, which was used exclusively as a medical treatment for “hysteria”. We’d call that a victory in and of itself.

Good vibes, ladies!

Sources:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-policies-on-sex-education-in-schools.aspx

http://www.yourtango.com/2014221409/8-ridiculous-vibrators-you-wont-believe-exist

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/06/women-is-masturbation-the-last-sex-taboo.html

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.