The Gluten-Free Fad Debunked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There seems to be a new super food or diet trend that every celebrity is trying every year. One of the more recently popular fads is the gluten-free diet. Some famous names that have already made the switch are Miley Cyrus, Zooey Deschanel and Gwyneth Paltrow. This trend has certainly grown, but what does it actually involve? With the help of Bucknell nutritionist Tanya Williams, understanding this latest fad is a piece of cake … gluten free cake that is!

Okay so first things first lets go over the facts:

What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat endosperm, a type of tissue, produced in seeds that are ground to make flour. A gluten-free diet is one that excludes the protein gluten.

What is celiac disease?
Celiac disease is found in people who have trouble eating foods that contain gluten. The immune systems of those who are celiac attack gluten and damage the small intestines when they eat foods containing gluten. This makes it very difficult for the body to absorb the nutrients it needs. People who have celiac disease eat a diet that completely avoids gluten.

How is this different from gluten sensitivity?
Gluten sensitivity differs from celiac because of the way the body reacts to gluten. A study from 2011 by the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research determined that a person with gluten sensitivity experiences a direct reaction to the gluten, in that the body views the protein as an invader. In effect, it fights the gluten with inflammation inside and outside the digestive tract. In celiac disease, ingesting gluten causes the immune system to attack its own intestinal tissue lining.

What foods contain gluten?
Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye, oats and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye). So pretty much, this means all breads are out of the question. This includes white, wheat, marble and rye. Also, cereals, pasta, bagels, pizza, muffins, croissants, hamburger and hotdog buns … well you get the idea!

Gluten is also found in foods you wouldn’t expect right away, such as…
Sweet and chewy treats like marshmallows and hard candies. Also, most beers are made with barley malt, so they are off limits. Proceed with caution when it comes to breaded foods such as fish sticks or chicken nuggets because they are often made with wheat flour.

Okay … so what’s left for me that I can eat?
Although it seems like tons of foods must be avoided, most healthy foods do not contain gluten! Beans, eggs, meats, poultry, fruits, vegetables, and most dairy products are all gluten-free. Additional foods and ingredients include amaranth, potato, arrowroot, quinoa, bean flours, rice, buckwheat, soy, corn, sorghum, millet, tapioca and nut flours.

Extra Tips!

1. Wheat-free on a food label does not necessarily mean gluten-free. The product may still contain other gluten-containing grains or additives.
  1. Manufacturers may change their ingredients so it is important to read ingredient labels regularly.
  1. Using a gluten-free pocket guide when food shopping can be very helpful.
  1. Contact the customer relations department of food manufacturers listed on the food label if unsure that the product is gluten-free.
  1. Many processed foods may contain gluten as a stabilizer or additive, so label reading is an important part of grocery shopping while on a gluten-free diet.
  1. Fresh, unprocessed foods are safest, both at home and away from home.
  1. When dining out, order plainly prepared foods with minimal ingredients. Notify your server of your requirements so that special care can be taken with your meal.

Now that we have the facts down, I reached out to campus nutritionist Tanya Williams to answer some of our gluten-free trend inquiries.

Why does gluten have a negative connotation these days?
I believe that the diagnostic testing for food allergies has become much more advanced, hence “more defined allergies” exist today vs. 5 to 10 years ago. “Gluten” has a bad wrap today because so many people have been “recently” diagnosed with gluten-intolerance that anyone with any GI symptoms “believes” that it must be a “gluten-issue” and are more likely to self-diagnose and self-treat.

Would you recommend a gluten-free diet for someone who is not celiac or gluten intolerant?
Absolutely not.  There is no VIABLE scientific data that supports that the restriction of gluten has any health benefits to those without a true allergy/intolerance.

What would be the benefits of going gluten-free for those who are not celiac or gluten intolerant?
None.

What are some of the biggest mistakes people make when going gluten-free?
Not replacing their “grains” with gluten-free products (i.e, avoiding them all together).  Anytime you restrict a particular macro-nutrient or food group and do not replace it with an appropriate substitute, you set yourself up for nutritional deficits long term.

Okay, so clearly gluten-free is not the best diet for most people. However, it is certainly a growing trend. Celiac and gluten sensitivity is more common today than in the past. A study from 2012 found that the numbers of people with celiac disease is increasing since the 1950s. Dr. Joseph Murray, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., reviewed blood samples from over 50 years ago and compared them with samples from people today. The research found that about 1 percent of American adults has celiac, which makes it four times more common than it was in the 1950s. Recent studies have also found that Americans spent over $4 billion in 2012 to avoid gluten. By 2018, Americans are expected to spend upwards of $6 billion on gluten-free diets. Time Magazine even ranked the gluten-free movement #2 on its Top Ten list of Food Trends for 2012. This past August, the FDA determined food-labeling standards for products claiming to be gluten-free. This was an attempt to create uniformity in the growing market. Clearly, this food movement is growing stronger everyday. It is especially hard to resist a diet that Miley Cyrus encourages by tweeting, “The change in your skin, physical and mental health is amazing!” Gluten-free is certainly starting to take over the food industry.

Although people, particularly celebrities, are praising this new diet trend, doctors are still unsure of its benefits for those who are non-celiac. They have watched many people cut out gluten for the sake of the fad or for other similar health concerns such as irritable bowel syndrome. Those with IBS claim that eliminating gluten from their diet has made them feel significantly better. Others who went gluten-free for the sake of the trend have reported that reducing their gluten intake has dramatically improved their health, but doctors are skeptical. Many people are claiming that they lost weight by eliminating gluten, when in fact the opposite happens for most people who are celiac. This is because eating a food product that is “gluten-free” does not necessarily mean that it is healthier. Gluten-free products are often high in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. In effect, it is not surprising that people who go gluten-free often gain weight.

Another adverse effect of the gluten-free diet is that it limits your intake of many key nutrients that the body needs. Grains are enriched with vitamins, so removing them from your diet could keep you from gaining key nutrients that your body needs. These nutrients include calcium, iron, fiber, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate. Vitamin B and D, in particular, are located in most regular bread products, so it is important to ensure that you include them in your diet through other food options.

However, if you suspect that you are gluten intolerant or celiac make sure to get tested! If the test comes back negative but you still feel sick, try going gluten-free for a week to see if your symptoms subside. If you are not celiac or gluten intolerant there is no data to support that this diet will work. As is the same with any diet, work on eating healthy! Often times we get so caught up in the diet aspect and end up just consuming junk food. So, remember; everything in moderation! When it comes to any diet, instead of focusing on what you are cutting out think about what you are consuming. Fresh fruits and vegetables are always a great addition to any meal. The gluten-free trend has certainly made an impact in the U.S.A., but for those of us who are not celiac or gluten intolerant, let’s instead focus our energy on eating healthy!

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com