Glorifying Eating Disorders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr and other social media sites are perfect for procrastinating, but they can be deadly … and not just towards your GPA.

A relatively new phenomenon is infecting social media. “Pro-ana” (encouraging anorexia) and “pro-mia” (encouraging bulimia) websites glorify mental illnesses and false body image perceptions. These websites provide graphic images, including protruding hipbones, thigh gabs, prominent collar bones and lanky limbs, to be used as “thinspiration” – cutely referred to as “thinspo.” Young women are most likely to be affected by these websites, which can create a detrimental influx of body image and mental health issues.

“Pro-ana” and “pro-mia” sites glamorize eating disorders with photos of emaciated models. These sites also provide tips and tricks to lose weight in unhealthy ways. The tips encourage viewers to starve and purge themselves, use diet pills and even chew and spit out food. These cyber communities glamorize eating disorders by going as far as attributing specific jewelry to the disease. Websites encourage anorexic people to wear a red bracelet to remind them of their weight loss goals throughout the day—and for bulimics, a blue bracelet. Now more than ever, social media pressures young women to constantly think about their body image.

In the “pro-ana” and “pro-mia” world, success is measured by weight loss. These sites draw teenage girls into a deep trap of eating disorders, endangering their lives. Medical writer Sherene Chen-See claims that one recent study found that 61 percent of girls with eating disorders who had used pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia sites picked up new weight loss or purging techniques. In addition, 28 percent used new diet pills, supplements or laxatives after visiting the websites.

These websites and pages aren’t the only contributors that glorify eating disorders. Society outside of social media is to blame, as well. Social norms prime us to repeat things we hear from other young women. Especially on a college campus, phrases like “oh my God I’m so fat…” “ew I can’t believe I just ate that” and “look at my food baby” aren’t hard to come by. And almost always, these statements come from girls who maintain a perfectly healthy weight. Phrases like these trigger thoughts of low self-esteem and the desire to lose weight. 

Whether you are overweight or underweight, don’t call yourself fat. In addition to potentially insulting someone who is heavier than you, these thoughts will reside in your subconscious and cause you to obsess over your appearance. 

Historically, women who were overweight were more attractive to society. Their plump bodies confirmed wealth and luxury. Presently, emaciated bodies are glorified to resemble determination and self control. A body with curves and an average weight should symbolize self-acceptance, confidence, health and happiness. An eating disorder should never be encouraged or glamorized; instead, self-acceptance and esteem should be glorified to the highest extent. There’s no shame in loving your body the way it is.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com