Fun Things To Do In Five Major Cities This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether you’re headed down South or to our nation’s capital this summer, there are exciting, fun, food-filled events happening everywhere! After being cooped up in your favorite library cubicle for hours on end during finals week, the summer offers all collegiettes a much-needed and much-deserved break. To make the most of your summer break, head to the nearest major city around you and check out these lively events:

1. Chicago, Illinois

Summertime in the Windy City is anything but boring with a plethora of free, weekly activities from movie screenings to workout classes held in Chicago’s famous Millennium Park.  Adding to the summertime fun in the Midwest is Chicago’s Hotdog Fest. Celebrating an American food classic in an awesome outdoor space, the Chicago Hotdog Fest is sure to be a “wiener”!  

2. Charlotte, North Carolina

Turn up those country tunes, because the south is the place to be when summer rolls around! If you’re spending the summer in or around Charlotte, North Carolina, your belly will be filled and your mind will be opened to the wonderful food and art festivals happening each week. Spanning over five city blocks is the Taste of Charlotte festival featuring a multitude of food and wine vendors that are sure to satisfy your taste buds. With a stomach full of delectable Southern dishes, you’ll be all set to take a day trip to Asheville, North Carolina to check out the Biltmore Village Art & Craft Fair with over 120 art vendors!

3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

In the city of brotherly love, there is no shortage of options when it comes to summer events. Head to Chinatown for the Chinese Lantern Festival or walk and feel the cool breeze along the harbor while checking out the Spruce Street Harbor Park.

4. Los Angeles, California

If you’ve just hopped of the plane at LAX for the summer, then you are in for a treat! A great way to kick start your time in the city of angels is with the outrageously exciting three-day LA Pride Festival. After a celebratory weekend at one of the nations largest pride festivals, you may be in need of a low-key, recovery day. If you’re a donut fan or a brunch connoisseur, then an event sponsored by Time Out Los Angeles is the place to be! A celebration of fried desserts and coffee, Time Out Los Angeles offers you the experience of sampling some of the most delicious menu options from surrounding restaurants, bakeries and donut shops.

5. Washington, D.C.

If you’re headed to Capitol Hill, you’ll be more than just a bill this summer if you check out all of the exciting events happening in and around the D.C. area! Get some sun and enjoy a day in the world of sports while attending a match at The Citi Open stadium.  If you’re looking for something to do after attending a match, then look no further than the Fairgrounds. An outdoor space open to many local DC events, the Fairgrounds hosts many food and art festivals throughout the summer.