Four Signature Pieces Every Girl Needs In Her Closet This Fall/Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

November is nearly upon us, which means one thing: impeding cold weather.  Luckily for us though, this year’s cold weather is bringing about some really exciting trends in fashion.   And lets be honest, the perfect outfit can make that arduous trek from your dorm to the library all the more worth it.   It’s time to switch to your fall/winter closets and pull out your oversized sweaters, leather and neutral colors, which are fortunately back in full force again this year.   But, if you’re looking for something new and exciting to spruce up your wardrobe check out HerCampus Bucknell’s ideas below.

The most practical, comfy and (in my opinion) chic piece that every girl needs this fall/winter is a turtleneck.  It is such a versatile piece – it can be worn with jeans, both skinny and baggy, a skirt, over a dress or with leggings.  It can so easily be dressed up or down and most importantly it will keep you warm!

Everyone needs a fall/winter coat, so why not choose a unique coat that makes you stand out on the quad.  Shearling is very in this season and if you are too scared to commit to a full coat, a shearling vest is another great option.  Wool is also everywhere this season and an oversized wool coat will be able to keep you warm all winter long.  The key to a perfect wool coat is the perfect color, which is camel and pastels this season.

Heeled booties are everywhere on campus and are such a great addition to every girls wardrobe.  They can be worn during the day with jeans or at night with a dress.  Every outfit immediately looks chicer with a perfect pair.  While black is always a classic option, lighter colors like greys and nudes are a unique way to mix it up and add an exciting element to your outfit.

A scarf is the perfect accessory for the fall and winter.  It can complete an outfit AND is a functional way to stay warm.  This year we are seeing an abundance of over-sized, plaid scarves.  Choosing a plaid scarf is a great alternative to the flannel that we see every fall.  Simply paired with a plain top and jeans or with a dress and tights, your scarf will be a versatile addition to your wardrobe.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com