Five Styling Tips We Can Learn from J. Crew Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

We get it: models these days are too thin, too egotistical, and too boring to pay any attention to. How can we expect to hold these women to any fashionable standard when half of them op-out on dinner and the other half paint their faces and dress like geometric aliens? It’s simply unattainable, especially when most collegiettes struggle to pull off the effortless cool-girl vibe when it comes to dressing for class. We want to look put-together, yet have enough space in our wardrobe for casual, comfortable pieces. 

Luckily, we can rely on it-girl and J. Crew Creative Director Jenna Lyons to help us see the fashionable light. For the past four years, Lyons has helped fuel the comfort-casual-chic trend that has popped up on runways and campuses across the globe – including ours. Looking around the first floor of the library, the booths at 7th Street Café, or any Super Saturday, we can’t help but notice that some students (guys included) have a thing for flannels, loose-fit tops, puffy vests, and jeans. While we can say #BucknellThanks to Jenna for help creating Bucknell’s stereotypical “look,” we can also look to J. Crew’s models ­– disregarding their body types – to teach us a few things about style:

1. Layer as much as possible.  

Have you ever pulled on a chunky cardigan and felt like a piece of your outfit is missing? J. Crew models know a whole lot about adding dimension to any ensemble. They coax us out from our single-layer comfort zones and inspire us to mess with patterns, textures, and shapes to find our own one-of-a-kind look.

How to pull it off: Start with the staples. Layer a chambray button-down under a chunky oversized sweater. Tie a checked flannel around your waste to add a casual dimension to the outfit. 

2. The manlier, the better.  

Step aside ballet flats, flouncy dresses and embroidered tops: femininity has a newer, cooler face. J. Crew models know how to make a pair of tuxedo pants, an oversized menswear button-down, or a pair of oxford flats look incredibly chic and flirty. Gone are the days where we have to worry about painful blisters and pump bumps. With J. Crew models as our savvy fashion guides, we learn that New Balance sneakers and oversized flannels aren’t only for the boys.

How to pull it off: Using a white button-down as your base, pull on a pair of black skinny jeans and athletic sneakers for an androgynous, laid-back look.

3. Round or colorful sunglasses are a staple investment, not a frivolous trend

As the sunlight hours begin to dwindle, now is not the time to say goodbye to your favorite summer accessories. Do like the J. Crew models do and rock a pair of chic shades despite the wintry weather. Not only will they pull together an already awesome outfit, but they’ll also conveniently hide any under-eye baggage from last night’s all-nighter or remnants of this morning’s hangover.

How to pull it off: Swap out statement necklaces for groovy sunglasses. Whenever you have the urge to accessorize, pack along a pair of shades for the day. Even if it’s cloudy out, they make great hair accessories. 

4. A little red lip can go a long way

And we’re not talking about T-Swift’s infamous red pout. J. Crew models’ makeup tends to be towards the minimalist end of the spectrum, which is why their notoriously bright lips make them look effortless, cool, and just a little bit elegant.

How to pull it off: Introduce the red lip in doses. Wear it out every Saturday night for a few weeks and then add it to your morning routine. Want to make your lips pop? Throw on a neutral top or sweater to make your bright pout stand out.

5. Acting surprised or straight up confused is chic.

J. Crew models are expressive, to say the least. But unlike typical runway models, they’re anything but boring and indifferent. No, like us, these ladies know how to work the emotions. Whether we’re feeling moody or elated, we can always count on J. Crew models to feel the same exact way.

How to pull it off: Act natural – no, really. In the fashion world, it’s okay to be our emotional, weird, quirky selves; and J. Crew models teach us how to own every second of it.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com